cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, broadband password won't change, no internet

FIXED
Whitebunny

Help, broadband password won't change, no internet

I recently moved house and on the day the engineer set up the line, the old router broadband light was just flashing. Plusnet sent a new router but same result, DNS down. Openreach guys today say there is data reaching the socket. The problem is the broadband password is stuck on factory default in the basic settings tab, so wont accept whatever I type in. I can change the user name. I've seen a so called "fix" for a similar thing on this forum https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Cannot-reset-broadband-password-in-router-settings/td-p/1487...
But for goodness sake this is no help at all, as clear as mud. Why on earth won't my password work? I've tried everything in the linked thread. Really this is plain dumb design. Call centre staff have no idea either. Would appreciate some help please!
8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Help, broadband password won't change, no internet

Have you tried a factory reset on the router? If not use a paperclip or similar and press in the factory reset button hold it in for at least 20-30 seconds. Then leave it to see if it will sort itself out.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

First thing first here. Is the broadband light still flashing? If it is that's no sync-in other words no connection to exchange and in that case the password won't reset as the signal isn't getting to Plusnet to confirm the password. It wouldn't work even if it does reset as that is still showing a possible fault and as it's the second router (and id assume filter and dsl cable) then there may still be a line fault. Are you in the test socket by any chance as if Openreach are right I'd ask whether they tested from the test socket or the front plate.

If the broadband is solid then yes it should reset. Has the factory reset method been tried to trigger the TR069 automatic configuration?
Whitebunny

Firstly thanks for helping.

The broadband light is flashing and has always flashed since the move. I've tried multiple reboots and resets. With a pin etc. When it resets the username goes back to TR069 (whatever that is), which it was to start with. I can change the user name to mine but not the locked password. (Why is that even a thing?) Ive Used test socket and front socket. The phone line works, I have used the phone. The engineers also got a solid broadband signal on their equipment, yes the test socket I think they used. I dont get the logic of "the socket you don't use is fine, goodbye"
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Like I thought then this is no sync not authentication like the engineer thought. That's why you keep getting the TR069 details back after reset. The router isn't getting to plusnet.

This could be a crossed line jumpering issue. If you're getting no sync with the ADSL router but there is data especially if it was crossed with a fibre line. Give support another call. If they believe that your are in sync which i suspect they do if they guided you to passwords etc last call then this is very likely.

From there dial 17070 from your phone and see if it reports your phone number. This is to determine whether a cross is in the network on the phone side or if it's at the exchange.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fix

Sorry to hear your services aren't working.

From what I can see we've incorrectly put you on fibre rather than standard broadband which is why your connection is not working as the router you have only works on standard broadband.

I've placed a order to move you onto standard broadband and I've sent you out our Hub One router which will allow you to use the fibre service in the meantime

Really sorry for any inconvenience caused

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Kdog
Aspiring Pro

Or it could be this!
Whitebunny

Thankyou for your quick reply. Makes sense now, will confirm success as soon as the new router arrives. Decided to now go with fibre as it's already connected. Fingers crossed.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

No problem

We'll get it to you as soon as possible

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team