cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help and advice please

lifesfailure

Help and advice please

I seem to have a rather peculiar problem / set of problems.
1) I can log into the plusnet site and appear to be able to navigate around most of it, except when I click on the link to try and see the answer to my questions (yellow bar) or on the help and support button. Both times I get the same result - The whole browser locks solid - the green progress bar (using IE8) nearly fills and then I can go off for a few hours or just close IE down completely. Been happening ever since plusnet took their web site down in the middle of my useage in the early hours of Monday morning while I was trying to send them info - thanks plusnet for the warning on logging in (??).
2) I have a brilliant intermittent fault. I'm told to use speedtest at regular intervals to get some record - the problem is it gives very close to the line speed most of the time (yippeee) but in the evenings from around 18.00 to 0200 the next morning the speed drops down to between 6 and 17 bytes per second (I do mean bytes). I have screen captures of these speeds but can't upload them, plusnet won't accept pdf or doc files from me (yet another problem), Trying speedtest (assuming I can actually get on line) is a waste - it tried for 1 hour and 20 minutes the other night and then the connection failed, last night on another computer it tried installing java but failed cause, it kept timing out. Oh and sometimes during the day I can try browsing a different site / page and it will either lock up or give a disconnected error message.
Good one isn't it. The only suggestion is to try and climb through a small hatch into the loft to find the master socket and plug my brand new router in it and see if it makes any difference (not even BT outreach do that - they just use a socket in the house . . . ) Explaining that a normal person can't get through the hole plusnet suggested that a child could be used .. .  The wife and I will make a start on that, but I don't hold out much hope as we have retired and if I go out and say to a child "Hey would you like to come in my house and climb through a little hole" I might get arrested.
Any suggestions on how to contact plusnet without having to call them (average 26 minutes and they don't listen) or finding the fault would be appreciated.
Crazy
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help and advice please

Try Firefox - it may get round the problem with IE8
Also is IE8 running in compatibility mode for that site - if so it would be worth changing it
lifesfailure

Have tried it with compatibility mode on and off, the only difference is the speed it moves up the green progress bar before it stops!
Will look around for a copy of Firefox - I have used IE9 beta but it was so unuseable that I had to remove it within a day. Trouble is I'm a creature of habit and don't take to changing to different "desktops"/control layouts!
lifesfailure

Well have now decided that it wasn't the browser causing any of the problems - Safari, Firefox and IE8 can all access the different pages, when the site will let them.
Interestingly though last night for 4 hours I had virtually no access (as usual) except for around a short 15 min spell,  Safari kept coming back with the following error message
"Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding"
Surprising how now, in my "peak" useage time I don't have any problems with the exception of intermittent connection breaks - almost seems like a new plusnet throttle method . . .
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI lifesfailure,
as you say, you can't conduct any tests while you're getting the problems. I notice you started to raise a fault on the 8th but the fault checker wasn't completed and therefore closed. I would suggest raising another fault and completing the fault checker so we can get it looked into asap for you.
Jojo Smiley