Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With Broadband Package

nathan1111
Grafter

Help With Broadband Package

Hi There.
Ive been a PlusNet Customer for quite some time and been on the same package.
Basically its Upto 8mb Premier (20:1 Contention Ratio & 800kbps Upload).
Thing is i'm wondering if I should move product because I'm not exactly happy about the Cost and what I've been getting from it for the past few months.
I mean I get Upto 8mb, my usage allowance is around 20gb and unlimited usage from 12am - 4pm which is Good.
The only thing that bothers me is the traffic prioritisation during the daytime (anytime during non unlimited usage hours).
Download Speeds from 12am - 4pm will be on average at 870kb/s
Download Speeds during 4pm - 12am will be Maximum 50kb/s via p2p, Usenet, anything.
What i need advice on is whether I should change my product to Broadband Pro as the traffic prioritisation from what they say, is much higher.
At the moment im paying £31.31, and im sure for this I should be getting higher speeds during daytime. I dont know how much difference the contention ratio will be if its like everyone else (50:1).
Does anyone who is on the PlusNet Pro package get the same/ decent download (and Upload) speeds anytime during the day?
And how much Upload is on this package (448kbps/832kbps)
Or anyone who was on an old PlusNet Premier package notice any difference between speed if theyve migrated to the new packages.
Thanks for helping Smiley
Cheesy
5 REPLIES 5
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Help With Broadband Package

You may wish to look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

The one thing to note is that PRO you get 15GB per month between 8AM and Midnight not 4PM and midnight.
If you are using 20GB between 4PM and Midnight now I suspect moving to pro would  be quite expensive for you.
Contention as such doesn't exist anymore so you'd be the same whichever product you went on.
832k upload is chargeable add on for all home packages, unless your on the ADSL2 trial.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
nathan1111
Grafter

Hmm , times that I'm on varies so not sure. Think I'll stick with what im on for a few months Lol. Thanks for both of your help , appreciate it Smiley  : Cheesy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Doesn't Max Premium (up to 832 upload) also get a better BT network priority? (replacing the 50:1 - 20:1 difference)
Max Premium and ADSL 2+ trial can both be requested from http://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Yep - IPStream Max Premium offers increased traffic priority over the BT Network.