cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help... Terrible Performance!

kelvinpapp

Help... Terrible Performance!

Hi Guys,
Having a bad time with my PlusNet ADSL connection at the moment... ongoing for the last 48 hours or so.
Upload speed seems fairly normal (fluctuates between 0.6Mbps and 0.8Mbps), but download is appalling - I typically see in the region of 5Mbps-6Mbps but am struggling to hit 256Kbps at the moment. Router has been restarted several times, I have checked cabling, and the Filter has been swapped out with a spare - all to no avail.
Any chance someone can run some diagnostics against my line? Happy to provide detail via Private Message...
Any ideas?
Attached should be fairly self-explanatory!
Kelvin
7 REPLIES 7
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Help... Terrible Performance!

Is this a wireless connection? If so, try a wired connection & repost the speed.
kelvinpapp

Nearly followed up with "issue is present on Wired as well as Wireless" comment... 😉
Would happily post up a speedtest result from my laptop... If I could get the page to load! 😞
shalom2010
Grafter

Two other things come to mind for an ADSL connection. Firstly can you post the full router stats (which show your 'uptime' and number of disconnections. Also is ther any noise on your
phone line, which can cause disconnections & would need to be reported to BT (if you have the line rental with them) after doing a quiet line test. (Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test))
kelvinpapp

Router Stats attached - any thoughts?
Have just dialled to conduct a quiet line test - there is a buzz on the line, but this could just as easily be our cheap & nasty wireless handsets as the line itself - unfortunately I don't have another handset to test with 😞
kelvinpapp

Hmmm... Strangely, performance seems to have (just about) picked up again... Latest speedtest coming in at about 4Mbps.
Odd coincidence perhaps? Very strange...
Thank you for your help on this.
DeclanTM
Grafter

The fact you have noise on your line is probably the cause of the issue, should report it as a voice fault to your phone provider. On a line with an attenuation of 40dB you should be getting around 9Mbps on ADSL2+.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I'd recommend if at all possible trying with just a wired handset plugged in, as your voice provider will probably request that that is tested prior to raising a fault. Also wondering if picking up the handset improved the connection? If that is the case there could be an issue somewhere, again that would likely be resolved by the voice fault if there is noise on the line with the wired handset. If not though let us know if there's no improvement and we'll look into it for you.