cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Router "synced" but no Layer 3

dlake02

Help - Router "synced" but no Layer 3

Hello Plus.net
I have a Madasafish DSL service that has been regularly dropping out every 2-3 days for 10 to 15 minutes at a time for the last 4+ weeks.  I've tried to report this to Madasafish, but they've steadfastly refused to do anything as they don't see any re-trains.
True enough, Layer 2 is up and stable.
But the issue is Layer 3.
I cannot route to or from the router - it has a static IP.  Today, it vanished at about 10.30, and ever since has been unreachable.
I've tried and tried and tried to explain the issue - one guy at Madasafish actually said "I don't understand what you're talking about....."  !
At the moment, my traceroute to my router stops within the Plus.net network, I cannot ping my router, and I cannot connect to any external sites outbound. But Layer 2 is up, stable, no problems at all.
Help PLEASE ! 
D
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Help - Router "synced" but no Layer 3

dlake02,
We'll do what we can to help, I can't be sure but if you used the phrase 'layer 3' it may have caused confusion as its not really a widely used technical term. I'm deducing from what you've mentioned and your connection logs I can see at this end that you can sync and authenticate and the issue is with data transfer.
Looking at the trace you've attached to your account it looks like your firewall is an issue at the moment.  To be able to help you I'd like to know more about your network set up, could you please let me know what equipment (in terms of a modem or router and any other network equipment) you may have? Also if you are using a software firewall along with windows firewall it would be worth disabling the latter.
I would also like perform a test here by connecting to one of our test lines with your credentials, however this would mean that you disconnect whilst I do this so can we agree on 30 minute time window between 3PM and 5.30PM today? Don't worry we can arrange that for tomorrow or later tonight with a colleague of mine if that's not convenient.
Adam.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dp2010
Grafter

Hi
I also have a Madasafish DSL service and have been experiencing similar problems [see ticket 35312405]  I thought it was resolved but it returned yesterday, On off all day and finally service disapearing at about 3.15. Spoke at lenght to an operative who said they would phone back in 15 minutes. They did not. Got service back may be about 6pm but only after reboot of Router.
PN dont seem to admit they may have a problem with there end and always sugest its our end. I still have not been given any answeres to my querry as above.
In my case to PN/Madasafish all looked ok and I was connected. But i could not browse. A trace rout was started but it could not get outside of PN
DP2010
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi dp2010,
I've just had a look at your ticket and it seems that the problem rectified itself after you rebooted your rotuer.
I trust all is still well?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
dp2010
Grafter

Hi Adam
Thanks for looking, but the problem still exists. Shortly after 6.00pm yesterday service disappered again. Rebooted router to get another connection at about 18.52hrs.
Before you ask, its not the router i have tried more than one.
Regards
DP2010 : Sad
dick:quote
dlake02

Adam
Layer 3 is a very widely used term in Data Networking as it is the third layer of the OSI stack !  This is really data networking 101.....
ICMP is blocked inbound on the router, so I would not expect a reply to a ping.  I have no Micro$oft machines on the LAN side - they are all running Free and Stable Linux CentOS.  IPtables is currently disabled.
I have a webserver running on HTTPS - this will prove that the service is reachable which is currently isn't
I'm currently in the US on business, and I have tried to call you to discuss but I don't seem to able to get through.
If you call me on the contact number on your file and then leave your DDI number or mobile, I'll call back when I can.
David
dlake02

OK - have made some progress.
Reachability to my static IP was down for about 60 minutes, and I managed to get through to a Team Leader in Sheffield and convince him to do some simple tests.
I asked him to SSH to my server on port 8022.  Then I asked him to browse to one of my machines on port 443.
I did the same from my ISP (Bogons) and also from my companies Internet connections through proxies in the US and Amsterdam.
Every time, the Plus.net guy was able to reach my servers from within the network.
Every time, I was UNABLE to reach my servers.
Conclusion - there is a routing issue between the Plus.net network and the outside world.
Does this help track the issue down ?
Thanks
David
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Quote from: dlake02
Layer 3 is a very widely used term in Data Networking as it is the third layer of the OSI stack !   This is really data networking 101.....
Layer 3 is not a term commonly used within the consumer network services, or indeed even in the SOHO sector either, whilst I understand what you mean by layer 3, and I'm sure many network engineers would and do, it does not in the least bit surprise me that consumer targeted customer support people would not.
For instance if you were to look at the Netgear site you will see that they provide equipment aimed from the consumer all the way up to ISP/Telco standard, however it is not until you start looking at the commercial grade, £1,500 a pop managed switches that Layer 3 is mentioned.  For whatever reason Layer 3 just ins't a term used around consumer equipment and services, and Plusnet is a consumer serive.