cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello. Can someone help me? just migrating in.

alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Hello. Can someone help me? just migrating in.

Quote from: monkeyexpressPF
did you just happen to reboot then? how did you know to reboot if your tiscali didnt drop? i thought ones existing connection went down when you were migrated? are you saying you could now still connect to Tiscali or Plusnet?  better not use even a minute of Tiscalis time  Tongue

I migrated from BT a few months ago. I was speaking on the phone to a lady from Plusnet about delivery of my new router and she said that I had been migrated. No, I said, I was still using the BT service at the time. Rebooted my existing router, changed the router settings, and there was Plusnet. I suppose if one waited too long to disconnect a disconnection would be forced but otherwise one can reboot at a time of ones own chosing immediately after the migration has been done.
(This of course assumes a migration from another ISP also using BT wholesale. Things are more tricky otherwise).
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Yes, I think that's what happened to me it was switched without interrupting my "defunct" connection. I just rebooted out of curiosity as the router had kept a connection for many hours (since around 2am I think) and was still on Tiscali but running slowly as ever; I hadn't actually looked at the sync speed this morning. And of course I had to change my settings to PN to authenticate after the reboot.
Strange that it was slower today though, it's been sync'ed at full 8mb for 3 months. SNRM currently 9.9dB downstream.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It is indeed quite possible that there was some added noise on your line briefly, or your router threw a bit of a fit, causing you to sync at a slightly lower speed.
I'd say to just keep an eye on things and see if it starts behaving as per normal.
HPsauce
Pro

My trusty DG834GT is behaving itself as ever.  Grin
SNRM now 10.1dB downstream which is fine I believe.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Oldjim
have a look here https://portal.plus.net/my/account_maintenance/interleaving_control.html

Sorry Oldjim, maybe I'm being dim but that doesn't take me to anything obviously relevant.
I end up in "connection settings" and none seem to relate to interleaving.
(Still exploring as you can see, and trying not to ask too many dumb questions.)
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

My 1st Day
checked at 9.15am and was still with Pipex (Tiscali). checked at 1.15PM and found i was syncing at over 6000 so knew i had been moved to the Max product, i couldnt connect to Pipex, but couldnt connect to Plusnet either.
i was syncing but couldnt authenticate, i left it half an hour and then rang CS. the guy said it may take a while to actually activate the account until BT confirmed the changeover.
got inpatient and rang again at 6.30PM and the guy manually connected me. not the the start i had hoped for but no biggie.
now, i do know there is a 10 day training period so the following may be down to that.
when i 1st got connected, surfing was incredibly slow so a router and PC reboot was called for.
once back up things were great, did a speed test and got a result of 4500, surfing instant, well happy.
i switched everything off to go for tea. since then i cant get a decent speed and surfing is slow.
these were my stats before my migration on my fixed rate 2mb service:
Quote from: monkeyexpressPF
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 288 / 2,304
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 36.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.0 / 19.0

these are my stats now:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,760
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 35.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 5.5

particularly worried about the SNR drop.
please remember i did have very high DL speeds after the 1st reboot, and a test DL ran at 556KB/s so things must have been good.
these are my last 4 results having rebooted to see if that is the problem:

i have not changed anything at all on the router or setup and i havnt even started looking into MTU stuff and that kind of stuff.
am i better just waiting 10 days and see how things go? i just didnt expect the speed to be so slow.
any advive?
thank you.
just to add. just done a speedtest @ BT and entered my phone number, then got:
In order to confirm that the telephone number entered previously co-responds to correct account on the network, can you please enter your normal login name below,(e.g. joe.blogs@myisp.net) and then click GO

which i did. then got:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 5000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  5760 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 117 kbps

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just checking, but you've got all the microfilters in you need etc?
Someone with more of a clue than I will probably find this tomorrow Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

yes, everything is identical to how it was before the migration, filters, router etc...nothing has changed.
like i said, on 1st reboot everything was perfect, that lasted about 10mins Sad
thanks.
edit:
i have removed everything form the phone line except the filter and the line to the router. on reboot i get:
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 7.0

so the sync speed has shot up, DL speed is up a bit but surfing still seems quite slow.
edit: 20mins later. not sure what i have done but...
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,064
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 6.0

and:
i hate not been technical Sad   is that SNR going to be a problem?
further update: i have done some reading and now see the SNR is not a problem. are my final set of speed results what they should be for the line stats i have listed?
i am more than happy with DL at over 4.5Mb Smiley
any tips on how to maintain these figures for the training period and what to do in general to make sure of getting the highest possible final speed setting?
sorry for all the chat.
HPsauce
Pro

All the advice I've seen says leave the router on permanently during the training period as interruptions can be seen as faults.
BT normally set the IP profile automatically after 3 days of good connection, prior to that you could be restricted to as little as 2Mb even if the line is connected (synchronised) much faster.
And the "up to 8Mb" service is MUCH more sensitive to wiring problems at your end.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

cheers.
ok, maybe my 2 above posts were premature. having improved to the stats as listed at the end of the above post i have switched on today and synced at 8128 today with a SNR of 7.5
i just panicked a bit when my early stats were as low as 332kbps, whereas it now looks like 4800kbps+
im just going to leave the router on now and see how it goes.
final question, and i promise i'll stay quiet for a couple of days  Embarrassed
how does the SNR work exactly? when i was on fixed 2MB it was 19.0 and people were saying it was good, now i am on MAX its 6.0 - 7.5 (over last 2 days) and it still appears, having check line stats sites that that is good too for MAX.
has it dropped because of the service i am on and is that normal?
p.s i must say, delighted with Plusnet so far, i just panicked a bit last night  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Noise margin is related to speed - the faster the speed the lower the noise margin.
So on a fixed speed line a high noise margin was good but on a variable speed line it pushes the speed as high as it can with a default minimum noise margin of 6dB initially. This can increase if the connection shows signs of instability.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

thanks.
how does this 3 day and 10 day thing work exactly? i am looking to try and keep what i have:
my BT IP Profile has now gone to 7150, and a test on the plusnet speed checker gives 6541kbps so a DL speed of 818kB/s Shocked so after a shakey start things are looking good.

what happens at day 3 and what happens at day 10? and how do i know something has been set on a permanent basis?
in the 2 days i have been on plusnet the actual sync has only dropped once and it resynced from something over 8000 to 7600+ now and i now have the above speeds.
thank you.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
Have you had a read of this?
link:speed
I think it should explain the whole 3 vs 10 day thing.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Have you had a read of this?

of course not, am i suppsoed to find info like that myself?  Embarrassed
lol, great reading. thank you.
James
Grafter

Smiley
It's at the top of both Community Support and Broadband Help forums.
I appreciate that it's easily missed.