cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

@apjashley1
Oo err, Is that a one or a capital I. I presume it doesn't whistle! Does the USB port work? Does it say what board is in it?
apjashley1
Grafter

@AO
It's a capital i (generic firmware, the Plusnet version of the same firmware is J and is ADSL only). No whistles!
The server options are in the menu system and it'll happily read partitions on the USB drive but so far haven't figured out how to access it.
It's the DANT-T board. Blazing fast GUI
dannystokie
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL 20CN or 21CN?
Fibre

2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us
no I havent

3) Why you replaced it
The wireless range is awful
4) What you replaced it with
ASUS N56U

5) Do you still have the 582n
yes I do

6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)
I'll probably keep it just in case.
njay
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL 20CN or 21CN?
Fibre

2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us
no I havent

3) Why you replaced it
The wireless range is dreadful (same reason I didn't use thomson 585 either) as my tp-link 8960n fairs better. They really shold be gigabit these days (PC <-> NAS transfers, used to use a gigabit switch for this) for the £40 deferred cost Wink
4) What you replaced it with
ASUS N66U

5) Do you still have the 582n
yes I do

6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)
I'll probably keep it just in case but you are more than welcome to have the Thomson 585 back that is sat in its packaging not used Smiley
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Hi Graham21
As I have just failed again to get my Netgear DG834GT connected (see http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,114470.msg986145.html#msg986145) will you please arrange for my 'whistling/buzzing' Technicolor 582n to be replaced with the USB version, see replies #57 and #58, in this thread.
Ideally, if the replacement could be sent to my home address, I can let you know when it's up and running and then we can agree a day/date for the 'old' one to be collected.
Thank you for your help.   
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro

Hi Graham21
Sorry to bother you but when will you be able to move this along please?
Thanks for your help.
Graham21
Grafter

Hi Everyone
Thanks for your responses.
We've gone a bit off topic in this thread.
I was originally doing a bit of a survey of people using different thant the supplied router and what their reason was for changing it.
I am interested in getting potentially faulty routers back at our expense. Most people seem to want to hold on to theirs as spares though.
We will contact the people willing to send their Plusnet router back and we will be sending them postage paid return envelopes. We can then either return or replace the routers so that people can still have one as spare.
As for noisy routers, we are also looking into that. I don't want to carry on discussing those in this thread.
I will start another thread to let you all know where we are at with that particular issue. We are investigating the router / firmware combination right now. I do appreciate the feedback and insights on that issue but would rather start another thread.
Thanks very much,

Graham
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Graham21 did you get my technicolor 582n router back? It was addressed to 'BT RETURNS'
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi All
Don't know if this thread is still alive but here goes!
I'm still torn as to whether to replace my TG852n. I'm suffering from poor Wi-Fi performance as per many others. I've tried enabling better performance from the CLI but no go for me: cannot get more than 65Mbps whatever I do. In fact I cannot get the router to set itself to more than 144Mbps even with 20/40 and SGI enabled.  I'm thinking that either the router is faulty or it's crippled.
I'll admit I'm in a busy Wi-Fi area and don't know if the symptoms I see are due to the inadequacies of the router or just 'the way it is'. I'm reluctant to spend my own money until I get a definitive on the router.  I opened a support ticket but they were unwilling to help once I mentioned CLI!
Andy
Anotherone
Champion

Ah, I see you've got a thread running on the WiFi aspects. Don't forget that because of the Internal Antenna, the position of the modem/router can be critical - mounted on a wall, sat on or near metal objects (eg. desktop) etc., best pursued in your other thread.
SoFarSoGood
Aspiring Pro

Hi washboardmac
I doubt you will get more than a maximum of 72Mbps (each way so 144Mbps) if you are near other 'competing' wireless networks as I believe the 72Mbps limit is part of the 802.11n specificaion.
If you are isolated (i.e no other 'competing' wireless networks) you may get up to 150Mbps (each way so 300Mbps).
Also, this would reduce to 54Mbps (each way so 108Mbps) when you are using a device with a 802.11g wireless specification, rather than 802.11n.
I am not an expert, so could be wrong, but this is my understanding.
Anotherone
Champion

I think that point has been raised in the other thread.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi guys
@Anotherone - yes have experimented with orientation but no improvement.
@SoFarSoGood - good point.  I guess it's just too 'noisy' here for the router to do any more.
Time to get the drill out and wire in the wi-fi PC and guess I could get a dual band router for the phone and tablet and ditch 2.4GHz altogether.
Cheers
Andy
njay
Grafter

I upgraded to an Asus n66u from the 582n via an Tp-Link 8960n. The former are both 2.4Ghz with theorectical 300Mbs. The latter being dual band and theorectically 450+450.
There are no other 5g networks around here but and this is what connects to mine with spearate SSID's for each freq range
2.4Ghz
Wii
TP-Link 702n in repeater mode (connect to SkyHD Box)
Desire HD
5Ghz
Nexus 4
Ipad 3
Samsung 6800 TV
Xbox S
I have nerver seen more than 72Mps link speed on either network, despite the Asus n66u being set to 40Mhz for 5Ghz. I suspect this is due to all those devices being single aerial clients?
I guess what I am saying is that you may not see ANY improvement buying another router if your clients can't go any faster themselves? However, the actual througput now some of the devies are on 5G has improved alebit with the wifi being l72Mbs its still limits the thrpoughpt to less than my FTTC connection.
washboardmac
Grafter

Hi njay
Thanks for that real-world info.  Most interesting, though not exactly what I wanted to hear!  Undecided
Both my phone and tablet support 5GHz but I'm guess being such small devices the aerial side is limited and I may get the same results as you.  I know the spec but can find no more info about throughput.
Think I might hang on for now.
Cheers
Andy