cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

sully666
Grafter

Re: Have you replaced your 582n modem / router?

1) Fibre or ADSL?  ADSL
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us  No
3) Why you replaced it  Poor WiFi performance, 2 unexplained disconnects in the last 3 days
4) What you replaced it with  Not sure as the TG587n v2 I have appears to be tied to my old ISP but is far superior performance wise.
5) Do you still have the 582n  Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)  No, would prefer to have a spare
hex
Grafter

1) Fibre
2) No
3) Frequent wireless dropouts on some devices (android tablet especially even at close range), signal seemed a bit hit and miss also
4) Netgear WNR1000v3 I had around - wireless signal a little better and dropouts seem to have reduced (remaining ones probably just due to range/weak signal)
5) Yes
6) Yes (if replaced - always good to have a spare on hand)
bobprew

1) Fibre or ADSL?
Fibre
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us
No

3) Why you replaced it
Poor wireless range and only 2.4GHz single band. One computer in our house refused to connect to it.
4) What you replaced it with
Apple Airport Extreme Base station, 4th Generation. Previously used this with my SKY ADSL connection. It provides the PPPoE connection to the BT Open Reach Modem and has dual band (2.4 / 5GHz) so giving a much higher data throughput: I can achieve 56.5 Mb/s on both a direct ethernet connection or via 5GHz WiFi.
5) Do you still have the 582n
Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)
I would prefer to keep as a backup in the (unlikely) event of the Apple box going down.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

1.  ADSL
2.  No
3.  For 2 weeks, Wi-Fi was adequate, but then became unreliable and varying in strength like a yo-yo. Also intermittently unable to access browser interface until re-booted.
4.  Pre-loved Netgear DGN2000
5.  Yes
6.  Yes
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
beetnik
Grafter

1.  FTTC
2.  Yes and Yes (i.e. I have three of them)
3.  Poor WiFi signal. DNS unreliable. Unable to cope with demands of number of devices on network.
4.  Asus RT-N66U (which has cured all problems)
5.  Yes
6.  Yes (but would like 1 as a spare)
thomasjc1
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL?  fibre 80/20
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us  No
3) Why you replaced it  Poor WiFi performance (so i heard never actually used it its sat in its box) and wanted dual band router
4) What you replaced it with  asus rt-n66u
5) Do you still have the 582n  Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage) yes but i want a spare
Dhaos
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL?
Fibre
No
3) Why you replaced it
When i was with Be i had a 582n, i replaced it with a Asus 56u as our baby monitor was interfering with our wireless 2.4ghz band so i wanted a router with 5ghz
Asus N56
Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage)
No, i already paid £5.99 for the router knowing full well i was not going to use it, it will come in handy as a backup if my Asus dies
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: Graham21

1) Fibre or ADSL?

80/20 Fibre

No its the one that was originally supplied when I signed up
3) Why you replaced it

Appalling UI and wireless performance

TP-Link TL- WDR3600

Yes

Yes.

droffy
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL?
Fibre 80/20
No
3) Why you replaced it
Had same router with Be rubbish wifi coverage didnt get it out of the box
Aleady had a billion 7800n (which i love)
Yes
Would send it back if it helps, but would like a spare just in case.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

@lurcher
Are you on 20CN or 21CN  (ADSL1/ADSL2/ADSL2+)?
@Graham21
I think it would be useful if you could edit your original post and for ADSL ask whether people are on 20CN or 21CN.
chirpy
Dabbler

1) Fibre or ADSL? Fibre 80/20
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us Yes
3) Why you replaced it Didn't have the features I wanted (e.g. decent logging, other advanced features)
4) What you replaced it with TP-Link WR1043ND
5) Do you still have the 582n Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage) Only if you still provide full support using a 3rd party router
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

My router is faulty a bit and hates my macs!! Would love to send it back and retrieve a replacement! To see if the replacement works.
Best regards
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
SpiritualBeggar
Grafter

1) Fibre or ADSL?-FIBRE

2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us: No

3) Why you replaced it: terrible wireless coverage and lack of user options,

4) What you replaced it with: Belkin F7D4302 V2, temporary fix until I get something better

5) Do you still have the 582n: Yes

6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage): I dont know, It might prove useful as backup
tstaddon
Rising Star

1) Fibre or ADSL? ADSL (awaiting availability of FTTP for direct lines)
2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us? No, but I've inherited one from my in-laws
3) Why you replaced it? Existing kit (even some REALLY ancient kit) completely blows it out of the park for wireless performance
4) What you replaced it with?  BT Home Hub for the modem, D-Link DSL-2740R with the TalkTalk stickers on it.
5) Do you still have the 582n Yes
6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage) Yes
Couple of additional observations:
1. My in-laws had an older Technicolor router swapped out for a this one, then got sent an identical new one when they upgraded to FTTC. So this one was surplus to requirements from day one.
2. Since the long term plan is to go for FTTP with VOIP as described elsewhere on the boards, any "basic" router will be nowhere near good enough for what I need
3. Gigabit wired and support for the latest 802.11 standards will be a must-have
4. I've tested several different routers for wireless capabilities in two Victorian terraced houses and already posted the findings.
5. If the Home Hub dies then I'd still prefer to use my trusty old Billion Bipac ADSL modem router as the backup device, in preference to the Technicolor, as it's marginally quicker.
6. For Wireless G, my Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 still has the most powerful signal in the 54G range. Nothing else I've ever tried comes close.
7. For Wireless N, the D-Link DSL-2740R eclipses the BT Home Hub AND Technicolor. Not bad for something I rescued from the municipal dump's second hand shop...
Overall: the Technicolor is basically OK if you have one or two wireless devices in the front room in a modern house with Contboard interior walls but if you have anything that's built with proper bricks then the signal barely escapes the room the router is located in. If nothing else, PN should have a user-friendly "About this router" option to advise people before paying the P&P for this router that of its limitations; if they do need bulletproof wireless or gigabit connectivity then be proactive; advise them to go for one that has at least two if not three external antennae.
StevieK
Dabbler

1) Fibre or ADSL?-FIBRE 80-20 Unlimited achieving 78-17 atm which im more than happy with  Smiley

2) Had you already had a replacement 582n from us: no

3) Why would you replace it:  It really has terrible wireless coverage,The wireless speed halves on my laptop at only 3-6 feet away from it, 30-40 feet or so away from it upstairs the ps3 only gets one bar at best which makes it unusable on wireless.

4) What you replaced it with: nothing tbh cant aford to buy anything better atm.

5) Do you still have the 582n: Yes

6) Would you be willing to send it back to us (we would supply the bag and pay the postage),  It might prove useful as backup