cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Plusnet changed their policy / system re line speed?

edgeways
Grafter

Have Plusnet changed their policy / system re line speed?

Have Plusnet changed their system or policy for setting line speed at their end?
The BT tester is showing my current ip profile to be 3500 k, but plusnet have reset it from 3500k to 3000k !
In the past, Plusnet's speed has always been set to reflect the BT ip profile.
I raised a ticket to ask them to adjust their max speed back to 3500, bur received this rather unhelpful reply :
" Your connection logs here show that the line was slightly unstable over the past 48hrs which has resulted in the line profile been dropped. Once stability is achieved on the line your threshold rate will increase which will have a knock-on effect on your IP profile "
I had always thought that the ip profile was set by the BRAS and DSLAM equipment at the exchange and that Plusnet automacily adjusted the speed to follow the BT profile. It seems, from the reply from support, that plusnet are now limiting the line speed independently.
I have carried out several BT speedtests and the results show my ip profile remains at 3500k despite the reference to "slightly unstable" quoted by support.
(This probably refers to some reconnects that I made to try to get the plusnet line speed to adjust to the BT pofile- a measure that has usually worked in the past}
Latest BT test :-
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 4480 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 3500 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2637 kbps.
Has anyone experienced a similar response from support ? Is this a change in policy or have support got it wrong again?
Grateful for any feedback,
Mike (edgeways)
4 REPLIES 4
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Have Plusnet changed their policy / system re line speed?

There seems to be an every increasing number of people that are getting what seems to be unhelpful responses to tickets.
If you are certain that your BT profile has been at 3500 for more than 24hrs continuously, respond to the ticket with that information, and the fact that PN profile appears to be stuck so would some one who knows what they are talking about "unstick it". If they believe the line has been unstable, they should be able to provide you with the recent history of sync speeds, dates & times. Good luck!
edgeways
Grafter

Thanks for that Anotherone, I will give it a try.  It is a pity that using the ticket support system these days never seems to be satisfactory and often requires two or three attempts to get the problem solved or even understood ! PN support appear to rely heavily on platitudes and pre-scripted replies. We must hope that this does not herald a return to the "bad old days" of Plusnet service.Thanks again Anotherone, especially for your moral support , it is good to know that I am not alone out here!!
Regards,
Mike (edgeways)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi Mike,
Support here have to work off the information given to them, be that from the customer or from the systems we use. In this instance they should have used the BT speedtests you provided to see the IP profile, but instead worked off the profiles we are sent through (which still shows 3000 today). I can see one of my colleagues has updated the profile now for you, hopefully that'll give you the best throughput your line can have.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
edgeways
Grafter

Hello Chris,
Thanks for your reply and explanation. It is reassuring to know that people like yourself are around showing interest in customer problems and responding appropriately. This goes a long way to restore confidence in the service. You will have seen from the ticket history that the problem was eventualy fixed and I expressed thanks to the support agent involved. I am pleased to say that normal service has been resumed. Thanks and with regards,
Mike.