cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has someone forgotten to remove the extra pcl-ag03 entries?

reserved
Grafter

Re: Has someone forgotten to remove the extra pcl-ag03 entries?

Still seems to be problems between gateways:
On pcl-ag01
On pte-ag2  
Huh
edit. just tried again on pte-ag2  

edit2: still on pte-ag2  
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re:Has someone forgotten to remove the extra pcl-ag03 entries?

We're looking better in balance now, still not quite there but very close. Hopefully the speeds across the different gateways will be closer to each other.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's been no comment on my suggestion in Reply #14 that extra entries should not be in place during the evening peak as this is guaranteed to concentrate short term and hence very active users all on to the same gateway.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
reserved
Grafter

Re:Has someone forgotten to remove the extra pcl-ag03 entries?

Quote from: Chris
We're looking better in balance now, still not quite there but very close. Hopefully the speeds across the different gateways will be closer to each other.

on pte-ag2
  on pte-ag1
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: Simon
Quote from: Bob
Indeed, something like this but it's not for the faint hearted!

Yes, I see what you mean!!  Shocked  Undecided
There is a link to a tutorial which looks vaguely comprehensible to us mortals. First thing I need to do is check if my router (an Intertex IX-67) supports SNMP and then find a quiet hour or so for some experimenting!
Now if anyone with MRTG experience fancies a remote config job ......   Wink

MRTG is a brilliant piece of kit, and also the biggest pain in the butt to configure I have ever come across Wink
I do remember getting it to work on my DG834G v?, but only after switching the protocol to use PPPoE instead of PPPoA (for some reason the SNMP traps for the PPPoA interface were never updating :()
The Intertex IX-67 looks like a pretty well featured router, but there is no specific mention of SNMP capabilities.  You could use something like FreeSNMP  to 'walk' it to see if/what MIBs it exposes.
B.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Quote from: jelv
There's been no comment on my suggestion in Reply #14 that extra entries should not be in place during the evening peak as this is guaranteed to concentrate short term and hence very active users all on to the same gateway.

It wouldn't work... The control of the extra RADIUS entries is down to BTW not us and is only done as a best efforts service, there's no guarantee that doing that close management of changes would actually get actioned when it needs to be. Plus it would take several days to get back in balance if you only had the extra entries in during the daytime so you'd just have speed problems the other way round, 1 gateway with really good speeds and all the others with reduced speeds.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
The Intertex IX-67 looks like a pretty well featured router, but there is no specific mention of SNMP capabilities. 

It's a great router, but although some of their models do have SNMP functionality, I'm pretty sure the IX-67 doesn't - at least not officially.
You could use something like FreeSNMP  to 'walk' it to see if/what MIBs it exposes.

Yes, might be worth a try, just in case, but I'm not holding my breath.  Sad
I think I can get most of the info I need by just monitoring the internet data flows from one PC. I'm not too bothered about total usage on my account - after all the Plusnet usage tool tells me as much as I need to know. It's more about comparatives between different times & types of traffic & I can do that with the traffic on just one PC's network connection. I know (& can control) what other competing traffic is using the WAN connection, so I can make sure it doesn't skew the results.