cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Member Centre Bandwidth Speed Tester changed ?

henbane
Grafter

Has Member Centre Bandwidth Speed Tester changed ?

Has the Bandwidth Speed Tester from the Member Centre Connection settings changed. I am sure I have run half a dozen speed tests in the last month since joining and now when I click on the link it looks different and does not display any of my past speed tests.  I am sure it was a horizontal line I seem to remember and now is dial gauges - looks nicer but all my previous results gone. 
Or am I just getting confused with some other speed tester as I cant find any reference to a change on PlusNet site.
10 REPLIES 10
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Has Member Centre Bandwidth Speed Tester changed ?

yes it is a brand new test, dont know if they have archived you old result, lets see what tomorrow brings
henbane
Grafter

Oh thanks - at least it was not me imagining things.
It would help if they told us the link now went to a new one (the icon on the link still looks like the old test) and gave the option of seeing our archived results etc.
Interestingly my speed just now is the lowest its been - way below 2M whereas I seem to remember it was >3M most of last month.
Plus Net like to reply and provide a link back to the old tester?  Or maybe I will search my history and see if I can find the old link.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

somewhere amongst al the numerous moans and groan about speed etc. there are quite a lot of references to the new speed tester, the claim is that the old one was not reliable, I dont rember seeing what unreliable meant.
Yes one again we are left in the lurch by PlusNetl
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As far as I remember the old test used to give silly results at speeds above 4,000 kbps (not that it affected me as I can never synch that high)
henbane
Grafter

Okay like you I never achieved anything above 4Mbit. 
Yes I did find the old tester in my history file - it said it was doing a test when I went to the page but I did not see my archive of results.
However also found in my history http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/ as I was sure I had seen the fancy dial gauges speed test before - just not on PlusNet.  And yes they look just the same even down to the bar display below them. 
Further searching seems its a licensed flash player speedtest from Ookla (see link on bottom of PN speedtest page).
So just give us a link to old archived results and we will be happy to use the new one I guess.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The new tester uses the Ookla engine but runs on Plusnet's own hardware in the London data centres. It tests both download and upload speed and will graph these once more than one result has been acquired.
It has been in use for several months, just not linked to from the portal until now.
David
henbane
Grafter

Yes it looks really nice - just been to the ookla site and speedtest.net one.  Getting better speeds of 3M from speedtest.net than the PlusNet one which is still stuck around 1.6M ... 
see here  http://www.speedtest.net/result/232864690.png
just shows we should not get too hot under the collar about reported speeds.
Still once again - any chance to get access to the old speedtest just so I can see my past results.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
As has been mentioned, we moved to the nice, reliable and pretty speedtester last week.  I'm afraid that I don't think that we'll be able to get hold of your old results though - however they might not have been very reliable in the first place given that the old speedtester was notoriously flaky!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just published a blog on this too, we should really have got something out at the time but better late than never.
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/11/new-plusnet-broadband-speed-tester/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
henbane
Grafter

Thanks for the blog but please in future keep the old system around for a few days when switching to the new one so we can get our old saved data back.
Still building up a speed profile now on the new one......
Cheers