cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Recommendations

tomallen35

Hardware Recommendations

Hi
I've got a Belkin F5D8633-4 router which i'm pretty pleased with, but I'm really struggling to get a decent rate out of my line. If i plug my filter directly into the one and only phone socket i have, i get about another 1Mbps more than i would if i used my 5M extension cable.
My router is still currently plugged in without the extension cable and is giving me the following stats:
Data rate(Kbps) - down: 9186Kb up: 448Kb
Noise Margin - down: 6 up: 25
Output power(dBm) - down: 127 up: 204
Attenuation(dB) - down: 48 up: 20
I think the problem not only lies with the extension cable, but I don't think the microfilter is helping matters either. Can anyone suggest a decent 5M phone extension cable and microfilter suitable for ADSL2+? links would be awesome!
Thanks  Smiley
8 REPLIES 8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Hardware Recommendations

Why not fit a filtered faceplate and put the router next to it then use a 5 metre cat 5 network cable to connect the router to the computer
tomallen35

I'm using the router as a wired switch for a NAS, PS3 and 360 with everything else connecting wirelessly. The reason I need the extension cable is that it means i can have the router by my TV so I can hide all the ethernet cables.
Are faceplates better than filters?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To an extent it depends on the house wiring.
If you have only one connection point with no extension wiring then a good quality tailed filter such as the ADSLnation one would probably be as good.
The best quality cable would probably be a shielded RJ11 cable something like this http://www.tamarshop.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=109_107&products_id=361&zenid=c2e5...
tomallen35

cool that's really helpful! would you know if it would be worth sticking a BT iPlate in as well? I've not read about them being used with ADSL2 or ADSL2+ so i wonder how much (if any) it would help.
Many thanks!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Best solution:
Router by the master socket without the extension.
A single CAT 5 network cable from the router to a cheap ethernet switch (eg http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120402462333). Plug the NAS, PS3 and 360 in to the switch.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tomallen35

yeah that's plan b as it means 2 wires dangling down from the window sill instead of one, but it is cheaper as i can probably just borrow a redundant 10/100 switch from work.
still would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the iplate with 21CN.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: tomallen35
still would be interested to hear people's thoughts on the iplate with 21CN.

Quote from: tomallen35
the one and only phone socket i have,

It won't make any difference to you as it just stops extensions causing problems.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
tomallen35

hah nice one!