cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Delivery Problem - did your modem arrive before line activation?

henbane
Grafter

Hardware Delivery Problem - did your modem arrive before line activation?

Anyone know what the problems PlusNet are having getting the hardware sent out.  How long have people waited recently ?>
My order tracker says it is still 'awaiting processing' but the line went active yesterday and hardware is meant to arrive in time for you to set it up before line goes active.
All PlusNet support say 'We have had issues with delivery of hardware' but don't give a date when I can expect my hardware - I chose the included hardware option as I thought it would be easier to get it all from one source but it would have been at least quicker if I had got the modem elsewhere.
9 REPLIES 9
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Hardware Delivery Problem - did your modem arrive before line activation?

I hope they are sending you a router and not a modem!
Why not make a phone call to get an ETA?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Ianwild
Grafter

Sorry there isn't much I can add to this today - What seems to happen is that certain stock codes get messed up at our suppliers warehouse and in the past it's been things like the paper insert that have been misplaced, and it ends up delaying the whole order.
It's been OK for a while, but obviously based on this thread we have a problem again now. I'm sure it's something our supplier management team will already be actively working on as we do get warnings whenever a delay occurs. Additionally, one of the items on our development roadmap is to move to an entirely different stock management system operated by our suppliers. This will be a lot more robust and will put pay to these issues once and for all, but it is quite a major change to our process so is taking time.
I will certainly look into this Monday when I'm back at work and give you a better update. In the mean time, I guess if you have no ADSL hardware at all, all I can offer is that we could cancel the hardware element of your order with us and you could buy something locally to do the job... I appreciate that is a pretty rubbish answer mind you!
Regards,
Ian
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: axisofevil
I hope they are sending you a router and not a modem!

Why? I've just been searching for an ethernet ADSL modem only. They do not seem to available anymore, all seem to be modem/routers.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think he meant "and not a PCI or USB modem" - I wouldn't have one of them if you paid me!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

"Single port router" is a total misnomer - a router to have any function must have an input and an output. So to be a router it must have at least two ports. One port is connected to the ADSL modem the other connects to the users equipment.
We had a very interesting debate about this on Thinkbroadband. Start reading from here
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I actually meant a router and no kind of modem, USB, PCI, serial, ethernet etc.
A modem/router will typically give you a firewall, NAT, DHCP...
Since the ADSL connection is "always on" a direct modem feed into your PC is asking for trouble (especially for those of the M$ persuasion).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mark
Grafter

Alternatively I take it the OP will receive a discount equivalent to the time he is unable to use the service

Absolutely. ~We'd be more than happy to make a gesture in cirsumstances such as this. It's hardly appropriate to charge for something the customer cannot use.
@ Aplus user
Apologies for the delay in getting the hardware to you but as Ian has mentioned, there is clearly a problem at our suppliers end. We'll get this investigated first thing Monday.
James
Grafter

Hi Aplus User,
Could you possibly pm me with your username so IO can have a further look into this for you?
henbane
Grafter

Smiley Just to let anyone finding this thread know that PlusNet pulled out all the stops to send us the ADSL modem/router next day delivery and discounted our monthly charge to cover the missing days.  Now been a happy customer for just over a month. Oh yes and they sent a 2110 rather than the one port 2091 version of option 2 which I guess was out of stock.