cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handle more than one user?

epoch

Handle more than one user?

I used to have problems connecting to servers in a game which was resolved by restarting my router (something to do with small NAT tables in the router apparently) . I have updated the firmware in my router which has resolved that issue, however I think all the previous restarting may have caused my speed to be reduced.
Now my issue is that my ping will shoot really high the second anyone else starts using the internet, usually a facebook or youtube video is loaded. Since I know video streaming can take a lot of bandwidth is this normal? I see adverts for broadband (admittedly for other providers) saying how it can handle multiple people using the same connect for different things with no problems. This issue occurred before I updated my router firmware as well, but I'm sure it didn't used to always do that.
I don't know if this is limited bandwidth, or  a slow speed issue or if there is anything that can be done about it. Can anyone offer any insight?
5 REPLIES 5
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Handle more than one user?

Hi epoch,
Welcome to the Forums.
What games are you playing exactly? Does this happen all the time or just at certain times?
epoch

Hi Chris, thank you for your fast reply.
Counter Strike : Global offensive is what I mostly play, and where I used to have problems connecting to servers until the firmware upgrade. However I will always get a lot of network lag on any game as soon as the misses loads up a video on youtube or facebook. It will go from 50 ish ping to above 600, although we can both stream videos at the same with without issue e.g she's still browsing and I load up twitch.tv, I just have to reduce the quality option for it to be smooth .It doesn't seem to matter what time of day or if its from PC/Laptop/Phone. There might be nothing that can be done about it, but I thought there would be no harm in asking.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No, you're right to ask, most definitely.
Any chance you could get a Wireshark Capture?
http://community.plus.net/library/windows/how-to-use-wireshark-windows-video/
If you could start it running before you start the game up and have the game and Youtube both running at the same time?
epoch

Hello again
I loaded up a game. Started youtube on my phone and ping shot to over 600.
Sorry I'm not sure how to read the results, I tried to use the filter option like it showed in the guide but it didn't find anything. I have tried uploading it wont let me attach it. It is 4.86MB as pcapng or 3.16 as RAR but neither will attach. Is there anywhere else I am allowed to upload it to for you? Or is there anything I should look for in the results somehow?
Not sure if you need any more info but I'm using a Technicolor TG582n with no usb (the one supplied by yourselves). I flashed the firmware from 8.4.4.J to 10.2.2.B
Thank you for helping me with this  Smiley
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'll PM you some details.