cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Half speed and high ping after switching accounts

timhugall
Hooked

Half speed and high ping after switching accounts

We moved from one property to another and had a temp contract setup in the new property while we were renovating it.

Unfortunately ADSL is all the new property could take but with an average down speed of 5.9mbps it hasn't been too bad even though we do miss "fibre".

I eventually got my old account (this account) migrated to the new property and the temp account shut down. Upon having it switched and setting up the router with the new username, our speeds have dropped considerably and the ping is through the roof. Averaging about 1.9mbps down and a ping of around 180ms. It's painfully slow. Doing a ping to google through Mac terminal is alarming, showing the ping going as low as 20ms and as high as 300ms. There's also been a few timeouts as well

The network setup hasn't changed and the equipment isn't a factor (about £600 worth of Ubiquiti networking gear and twin ethernet ports in every room (I'm an IT Technician, with an understanding wife!!)).

I've done some trouble shooting, namely system wide firmware updates, rebooted all hardware and used multiple ethernet sockets, devices, hardware etc. I've also tried a microfilter even though I have a BT master socket with a ADSL/VDSL module fitted which was working just fine before the switch.

The only thing I have swapped out is the standard Plusnet router for my Vigor2860n to see if it helps but it doesn't.

Something has clearly gone wrong, fault on the line perhaps? Has anyone got any ideas.

It was never fast to begin with but it was liveable, now it's giving me flashbacks of AOL in '95.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Half speed and high ping after switching accounts

Hi there.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing connection problems and had to downgrade from fibre at your new address.

I've been testing your line and we're not finding any issues. 

Have you tried plugging your Mac directly into the router using an ethernet cable bypassing any switches etc?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timhugall
Hooked

I have and it made no difference, I just popped up into the inlaws house which is next door and they're having the same problem although their provider is BT.

We're all on direct to the exchange connections (there's no cabinet here) so I wondered if it's an exchange issue but open reach are saying no.

timhugall
Hooked

Done with a direct connection and my switch disconnected (we don't use the routers WiFi so my device was the only one connected)

Screenshot 2018-10-05 at 14.58.24.png

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @timhugall

Thank you for confirming that you are connected via Ethernet cable and for providing us with a speed test.

Please run a speed test on http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com via an Ethernet cable and Internet Explorer / Microsoft Edge. If the speed is lower than the estimated speed, please click further diagnostics then enter your telephone number and run the diagnostics to send this information to our server.

Along side this, please raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net and let us know when you have completed it so we can pick it up as soon as possible.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
timhugall
Hooked

Best I can do is this via Mac and Chrome/Firefox as WholeSale speedtest requires flash (really wish they would update to something more secure).

SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 96

Hello @timhugall,

Thanks for getting back to us.  Can you raise a fault here, so that we can investigate the issue further.

We will use the results you have added to the current thread.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
timhugall
Hooked

I found out what the issue was.

iOS12. It's flooding my network with mDNS/multicast requests and each device has an extreme RX rate.

Disabling each device has restored my network speed to normal. Seems this is becoming a more well known issues as days pass.

In the end, enabling IGMP Snooping and proxy on my Vigor Router sorted the issue.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @timhugall,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm glad to hear that you've been able to get to the bottom of the cause of this issue and that this is now resolved.

Please let us know if there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team