cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had problems since before Xmas with Broadband connected but random no internet. Anyone help please?

joseph1
Rising Star

Re: Had problems since before Xmas with Broadband connected but random no internet. Anyone help plea

@Townman @Gandalf 

Replacement router all connected and working now. Routerstats is also running as well. Been a few years since I was able to use it and found it valuable for intermittent problems back then.

Any specific settings you would like me to use with routerstats?

Thanks, Rob

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Had problems since before Xmas with Broadband connected but random no internet. Anyone help plea

I trust that you are using the BTHH5a version, in which case there is next to nothing to configure, beyond providing the password!!

I sample at 10 second intervals, plot 720 points per graph (which delivers 2 hours) and capture everything.

A 10 second sample rate offers adequate granularity to capture short duration noise spikes.  The SNRM graph is the only one we are particularly interested in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joseph1
Rising Star

@Townman @Gandalf  Yes, the 5A version.

I have just changed it to the 10S/720pt.

Attached the noise margin.

When the OR guy did all the work back in March, he did say that noise started to appear around 1000 and lasted until approx midnight. He was very thorough and spent hours on it.

Rob

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Rob,

That is not looking pretty!  Need to watch that and see if you can correlate the "disturbances" with anything happening in the household.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

joseph1
Rising Star

@Townman @Gandalf 

After switching pc on at about 0640 today. Quite a drop. Capture attached.

Only other things on are fridge and a freezer. Tv/recorder unplugged, as is second pc, printer and phone base. I have previously done tests with just laptop on battery monitoring the previous router s/n and everything I am aware of unplugged. Then, it made no difference. When the OR guy was here, noise on a MW radio increased out in the street. No DF was possible though to locate it. Despite this drop in noise margin, the attenuation and speed are both unchanged from yesterday.

Rob

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us Rob.

Just tested your line (sorry for the extended drop) and looking at RRT data, there are no issues flagged but I can see your upload speed's increased and download speed's dropped by a tad.

I'd recommend keeping an eye on things with routerstats and let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
joseph1
Rising Star

@Gandalf @Townman 

Yes, just saw that. Made a difference, screen attached.

Will leave things running the rest of today.

Thanks, Rob

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@joseph1 wrote:

@Townman @Gandalf 

After switching pc on at about 0640 today. Quite a drop. Capture attached.

Despite this drop in noise margin, the attenuation and speed are both unchanged from yesterday.

Rob

It would be more helpful if the monitoring were run 24x7.

Something happened overnight which we do not have a view on, which we need to capture to understand what is happening.  I would not expect the attenuation to change.  I have difficulty taking your statement on sync speed (ignore max rate speed) as stated.  With that change in SNRM I would expect to see an improvement in line sync speed and thus suspect that the line dropped over night.

However if the line had dropped, I would have expected the SNRM to have been 9dB or 6dB - the current plot is not at either of these values, so something does not look right!

The post test resync shows a massively increased SNRM again.  When posting the noise margin over a resync, it would be helpful to also see the sync speed graph as well please.  What is the attenuation on the line please?

@Gandalf is this line banded please?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Re: Had problems since before Xmas with Broadband connected but random no internet. Anyone help p...

@Townman & @joseph1

I've just run a quick check on the line and can confirm that it is not banded. The SNRM is coming through at 9dB which is expected given the loop loss on the line.

Broadband profile - WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 9dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 9dB Upstream (ADSL2+)

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
joseph1
Rising Star

Re: Had problems since before Xmas with Broadband connected but random no internet. Anyone help p...

@adam945 @Townman 

I will leave pc on overnight then.

From my current Helpdesk page

6. Data rate:828 / 7256
7. Maximum data rate:21215 / 7576
8. Noise margin:10.5 / 9.8
9. Line attenuation:21.8 / 42.0
10. Signal attenuation:21.8 / 40.4
11. Data sent/received:292.6 MB / 2.6 GB

Looking back at my saved log pages from starting yesterday morning, the only change I can see from then to now is d/l speed has increased from 7218 to 7263, as printed along top of the page.

NO drops at all.

Thanks, Rob

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To have a change in sync speed (as opposed to max rate) there MUST have been a stop in xDSL.

42dB does not seem too untoward so a 9dB SNRM is a little surprising. Accepting that the SNRM is 9dB this line is performing right on the nail. So the big question is what is driving the 9dB target on a moderate attenuated line?

I suspect REIN, which hopefully 24x7 monitoring might illuminate!

Note the max rate US figure is very suspect makes one wonder about the behaviour of the router!!

Just to cover the bases, regular QLTs might be helpful here, especially if you see the SNRM shifting around.

joseph1
Rising Star

@Townman 

"Note the max rate US figure is very suspect makes one wonder about the behaviour of the router!!"

Could it be a failing of the routerstats thinking my router is a BT branded one, some difference maybe?  However, when monitoring Connection Speed the graph is 0 - 1100 US. 0 - 8000 DS.

QLT have all been ok..... so far. Will continue to monitor, especially if I see disturbance on the graph.

Been reading up on REIN and SHINE as well:

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Some interesting reading, with a lot of terms I am familiar with in my lifetime associated with radio communication. I wouldn't mind borrowing one of those BT/OR 444B RF testers! A lot smaller than my mains powered HP spectrum analyser.

Thanks for assistance,

Rob

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@joseph1 wrote:

Could it be a failing of the routerstats thinking my router is a BT branded one, some difference maybe?

Rob

Hi Rob,

No.

I am referring to line 7 in post #115 where you posted the line stats reported by the router itself.  The DS max rate figure is similar to the actual DS sync speed, however the US max rate figure is one which anyone on FTTC 80/20 would be delighted with and is beyond the bounds of physics on ADSL.

joseph1
Rising Star

@Townman 

My router has delusions of grandeur then!!

Wish my adsl did!

Rob

joseph1
Rising Star