cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Had enough now. Thinking of leaving

pdarnett

Had enough now. Thinking of leaving

Signed up for broadband in April and haven't had a consistent service since day one. Now on my second router and many support calls/tickets raised and still no resolution. Never get any feedback from support after so called fixes and calls just closed automatically without any resolution. My last ticket 15681440 was once again just closed without any feedback.

Summary of issue:

Browsing on any device is non existent or v slow. Speedtest is fine but latency is always 1700ms or more. Was previously on Sky with no issues on same line. 

Tried various DNS providers to try and speed up browsing but still the same with no resolution in sight.

Support just sing the same tune every time i call, yes i have restarted it, yes I've changed the microfilters. Can I test over the next couple of weeks? Yes course I can, that would give you enough time to silently close the call without informing me.

Best test for me is, open page on ipad on wifi, can take 30s+ or not at all, swap to 4G loads instantly. Currently having to pay for more data of 4G so I can work.

Anything else I can do as I've no more patience to wait on the line for support for 45 mins to go through the whole script over and over again.

3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 157

Re: Had enough now. Thinking of leaving

Hi,

A warm welcome to the forums.

You've clearly indicated that your attempted connection is over Wi-Fi which is slow whilst connection over 4G is much faster.  Have you tried running a comparison over an Ethernet connected device?  There is every possibly that this is a Wi-Fi problem, not an ADSL (Plusnet) problem.

Which router are you using?

Do you have the 5Ghz network enabled? Did your Sky router have dual band capability?

Which iPad are you using?

Is the router configured to auto select the Wi-Fi channel?

Please run through the following so that your ADSL service performance can be assessed against expectations for your line.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pdarnett

Sorry should have put in my original post, I've tried this with my macbook on wired/wireless, a PC, various tablets and phones.

Even in the same room as the router the browsing experience is poor. Speedtest consistently says 15Mb down and 1Mb up. Latency though is all over the place can be up to 3000mS. I've to 2704n router so no 5gb option in the config.

Line quiet and no filter issues.

Try auto an channels 1,6 and 11 on the WIFI.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Can you advise how you're measuring the latency?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team