cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Updater - Won't....

Interested
Grafter

HP Updater - Won't....

Sorry firstly if this is the wrong forum.
Just wondered if anyone else has problems with downloads & installing updates from HP.
Other downloads ain't supersonic but usually take no more than an hour dependant on size.
HP Updates of about 3 MB take me about 24hrs to download then usually installation fails!
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: HP Updater - Won't....

A 3M download taking 24hrs?
Interested
Grafter

Ay!
3MB taking 24hrs but ONLY for HP!  Adobe updates of a similar size are supersonic and all others are acceptable.
As I write this it is at 2.138 MB, it's been running since yesterday evening about 7pm.
I recently bought a registry cleaner which blitzed a trojian horse and two other programs named "trojan". And yes I use both a well-known antivirus and firewall program but obviously they didn't work.
My overall speed is now improved since this "blitz" but HP downloads are still at dark ages speeds for me.
Anotherone
Champion

I would have thought this needs someone from PN to take a look whilst this is in progress.
Do you know the exact url of the download?
Open a cmd/dos box and do a tracert of the url and redirect the o/p to a text file, might be useful in diagnosis. Don't know if anyone else has any bright ideas.
What AV and FW are you using?
Interested
Grafter

Am using McAfee AV & FW, plus also have windows firewall and defender turned on.
Could someone assist me with how to open a dos box and redirect the o/p(?) to a text file. I'm a bit stuck. Much appreciated. Smiley
Interested
Grafter

Download completed at 21:25 installation took five minutes and was successful.  Smiley
Unfortunate I didn't manage to open a dos box as didn't know how.  Angry (with myself for not posting this first thing this am!)
Web address below I copied when asked to provide feedback by HP. I did say it had taken a day to download & 5 minutes to install.
http://h20157.www2.hp.com/ediags/HPSU3/home.aspx
If anyone can explain brightspark's instructions will do this next time as HP Updates always take between 6+ hours to 24 hours or so and would love to help myself & any others with this problem.
Thanks for your responses. It's kept me smiling & stopped me pulling all my hair out.
Anotherone
Champion

You might have an 'MS-DOS Prompt' link on your Start Menu <Programs maybe <Accessories depending on the Windows version you are running, otherwise - Start Menu < Run , type "cmd" or "command"  in the box depending on your windows version (without the quotes), click OK. A DOS box should open.
Type "tracert [url of site] > [filename.txt]" without the quotes, where [url of site] is the url of the download site without the brackets, filename.txt is a name of your choice eg. trace.txt without the brackets, and > is the redirect symbol.
The file will get saved in the folder/directory indicated by the prompt. This maybe your Desktop, it maybe Windows etc. HTH. 
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Until more familiar with commands such as traceroute you might find it easier not to use the output redirect (> filename.txt) part of the command since progress of the command during execution becomes invisible (it is going to the file). All you will see is completion indicated by the command prompt (C:\…>) returning. If you don't use redirection, after the command has run you can copy the displayed output to Notepad (or post) yourself.
How to open a Dos prompt is described in Plusnet's Help and Support pages here with the procedure for copying the output to a text file following (redirection is also mentioned).
Descriptions for using ping (various forms), traceroute and other troubleshooting tools follow.
Since you run McAfee Firewall I suggest turning off Windows firewall. Running more than one can cause problems.
David
David
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Interested, if you are reading. Spraxt has usefully pointed you to a less techie way of using some of these troubleshooting tools.
Have you tried any other HP downloads from that site? This won't cheer you up - but my HP printer has been giving me some niggling issues lately, so I thought I'd have a look for any updates and used your link. Searched and found a complete package 16M which I downloaded in 1m21s at 0745 today, sorry :-[.
Try downloading something else, anything, maybe the latest complete software for your printer rather than an update sometime. Try doing it at an offpeak time for your broadband package to see how things go.
Regards.
Interested
Grafter

Cheers all.
When I'm feeling a tad more optimistic I might try another download from HP site, perhaps around 6am on a Sunday morning.
Smiley