cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIGH PING at peak times 19:00-23:00. 6 times higher than normal since BT area speed increase. HELP!

veL
Dabbler

HIGH PING at peak times 19:00-23:00. 6 times higher than normal since BT area speed increase. HELP!

So BT increased my speeds from 40/2 to 40/10 around November time. Since then, Ive been suffering from high ping between 19:00 - 23:00 roughly, all other times outside of those boundaries are completely fine.

For example on average, I would get 10ms to most British servers throughout the day, during the problem times my ping would shoot up to between 60-70+ and stay there consistently. The common theme is that my ping would be 6 times higher during those times to any server world wide. Its like clock work every day. 

My equipment is fine, I didnt have any problems whatsoever with the 40/2 line and use the default plusnet router.

I make sure no other devices are connected and Im hard wired into my computer with it running no background tasks etc.

My speeds are fine and it doesnt drop connection too often for me to care.

Ive made numerous calls and support tickets and they just tell me that its expected to have high ping during peak times and that its the server providers fault, basically implying they are overloading their servers. Which I know simply isnt the case as I have been running ping tests to any server world wide with the same results. Plus the fact that high ping isnt "normal" during peak times on servers that are running properly, slightly higher ping maybe, but not 6 times higher.

Ive attached some ping tests from big companies like BBC GOOGLE and FACEBOOK showing the differences. "2030" is showing the ping tests at 20:30 GMT and "2255" is showing the same ping tests at 22:55 GMT.

Any help would be appreciated. I am 100% convinced this is not normal, I havnt ever experienced this before with any provider and it isnt my fault or any other entities fault other than BT and Plusnet.

P.s I will post better ping test later on tonight showing global servers in different timezones.

New results for today attached to this post showing before and after. Speeds are tanking too. "15122017" attachment.

2 REPLIES 2
Alk
Dabbler

Re: HIGH PING at peak times 19:00-23:00. 6 times higher than normal since BT area speed increase. HE

I can't answer specifically to do with Plusnet (I was coming on here for my own help), but I saw your query and thought I could answer generally. 

If you did a tracert you would potentially find at which hop the ping time is high.

Routers generally don't prioritise responses to pings, so they can be higher during peak times - therefore, it doesn't necessarily indicate an actual problem.

For example, if it is like clockwork, it is possible that the traffic priorities are altered at those times.

Edit: Here is a Plusnet staff member replying to a similar issue, stating the same as what I have said: https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Packet-loss-and-latency-spikes/m-p/1499533#M319912

veL
Dabbler

Re: HIGH PING at peak times 19:00-23:00. 6 times higher than normal since BT area speed increase. HE

Thanks for the response. I will try the tracert I see what it shows on the 3 sites on the original post.

I did more speedtests on various servers around the world during the problem times. As you can see, the pings are way higher and the speeds are all over the place. Really bad today it seems.