Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! TG582N and NAS

smileyk
Dabbler

HELP! TG582N and NAS

Hi,
I switched to plusnet yesterday and went from a BT router with my NAS working perfectly with mapped network drives - to a TG582N router working and a NAS working but no network drives and mapping failing each time.
I've checked everything I can think of / find and I have spoken with plusnet tech help.  They checked my settings and got me to ping the NAS and all is fine, but for some reason I just can't map my drives and therefore access my files.  Even mapping from Start Run with \\IP address didn't work.  So surely there has to a conflict somewhere or a missed setting but I'm not competent enough to work it out and tech support couldn't help any further (despite it working before I installed their router!).
Can anyone help an increasingly "frustrated and no longer as technical as I was" person to get this working before I give in to the urge to throw it at the nearest wall?  Grin
Thanks in advance!
15 REPLIES 15
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: HELP! TG582N and NAS

Which model Home Hub do you have? Most can be used on Plusnet - you just have to change the username/password.
http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/using-a-bt-homehub-3-or-2-on-plusnet-adsl-or-fttc/
smileyk
Dabbler

THANK YOU SO MUCH!  Smiley That worked perfectly and I can now access my files again. Smiley
dick:quote
smileyk
Dabbler

Hi,
Okay new problem now, BT has asked for their router back.  EEK!  Do I need to buy one or is there some way to get this stupid PlusNet one to work with my NAS?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Check the settings, router ip address and check the setup on the nas. There is no reason it shouldn't work.
You can get 2nd hand bt routers on ebay and freecycle for little money.
smileyk
Dabbler

Thanks, but I've done all that - and checked it with the plusnet tech support guy.  The NAS is there, it shows on the router setup, it pings perfectly - but it can't be seen from the computer and I can't map any of the drives.  Take the plusnet router off and plug the BT one in and it works fine.
I'll check ebay for another router - and hunt through the cupboard at home as may have the old old one there too.  Thanks
smileyk
Dabbler

Also slightly concerned about the impact of all these changes.  Router resetting, on and off then changing the routers back and forth trying to get it work.  Will that mess up the initial line speed thing that companies do?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you pinging it from the router or from the PC and are you pinging it by name or IP address?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Some diagnostics would be useful...
1.  Is your NAS on a static address or is it allocated an address by the router using DHCP?  
2.  If the former, what address have you given it, if the latter what address does it get from each router?  
3.  What OS do you use?
4.  Can you access the NAS web GUI?
5.  Is it definitely the NAS responding to the ping?  Unplug the ethernet cable to check.
6.  Is your PC wired or wireless?  If wireless, check with it wired.
This is highly unlikely to be a router issue - sounds like an addressing problem.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I can't believe they've asked for the router back! Did the request come by post or in an email? Did they send you a returns pack (Jiffy bag with postage paid)?
TBH, I would just ignore the request - I can't see them following up on this at all. Your call, though...
smileyk
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Are you pinging it from the router or from the PC and are you pinging it by name or IP address?

Pinged it from the PC - by IP address
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Can you browse to it in Windows Explorer using the UNC path: \\192.168.1.xxx ? (replace the x's with the IP address)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
smileyk
Dabbler

Quote from: pwatson
Some diagnostics would be useful...
1.  Is your NAS on a static address or is it allocated an address by the router using DHCP?  I've actually tried both options - same result each time (I.e. go into the router and it sees the NAS but I can't Map any drives or see it from the PC).  At the moment it's static
2.  If the former, what address have you given it, if the latter what address does it get from each router?  Static at the moment: 192.168.1.66
3.  What OS do you use? Win 7
4.  Can you access the NAS web GUI? Yes
5.  Is it definitely the NAS responding to the ping?  Unplug the ethernet cable to check.  Ok will have to do this over the weekend sometime as will have to swap back to the plusnet router to try it.  PlusNet tech guy told me to ping it from cmd and it responded - he seemed happy that it was working but I can check it.
6.  Is your PC wired or wireless?  If wireless, check with it wired. Wired
This is highly unlikely to be a router issue - sounds like an addressing problem.

Thanks for your help.  I haven't done techie stuff for years so am slightly in the dark here but tried to take a logical approach to it. When it didn't work from out of the box (and didn't work means as I mentioned above, router sees NAS, but can't map drives from PC or PC see NAS) I tried dynamic and static IP's and checked the other settings seemed to be correct.  I read the manuals for both and checked all was ok and googled it to see if there was something I just didn't know.  When I'd exhausted my limited capabilities I rang tech help and went over what I'd done, did the pings etc. before he said that was all he could suggest.  Switched back to BT router and got that working on plusnet and it worked beautifully - thankfully as I needed access to my files!
smileyk
Dabbler

Quote from: Jaggies
I can't believe they've asked for the router back! Did the request come by post or in an email? Did they send you a returns pack (Jiffy bag with postage paid)?
TBH, I would just ignore the request - I can't see them following up on this at all. Your call, though...

Smiley They emailed to say they wanted it back and were sending me a returns pack - which hasn't come yet. With Christmas next week I have no plans to rush to return anything even if it does arrive, I plan to wait them out and only return it IF they get stroppy.
smileyk
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Can you browse to it in Windows Explorer using the UNC path: \\192.168.1.xxx ? (replace the x's with the IP address)

Hmmm good question, I "think" I tried this but I can't be sure.  I'll try that when I switch back to the plusnet for another attempt over the weekend.  Thanks Smiley