cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guess what? Speed and stuff

macdougs

Guess what? Speed and stuff

We've been with PN for sometime and pretty happy about it.  But we moved out to the country in March and as expected speeds dropped, a lot 😞
BT have my line speed at 500kbps but based on the PN speed tests over the months this has varied from 273kbps to 472kbps (today off work so less contention etc...).
I've carried out the BT Speedtest
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 750 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1632 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 451 kbps
My set up is a router connected to master socket (all telephone, sky boxes fully filtered). Two Macs (OSX Leopard) and one pc (vista).  Downloads are so slow.  I've been through some of the he threads and tried things from there but not much change. I know I am about 3km from the exchange but was hoping to get a bit more oomph than present.
Current router stats are: downstream connection speed varies between 1632 (high) and 992? (low)
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 1632 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 48.0 db 26.0 db
Noise Margin 6.1 db 16.0 db
Any advice would be gratefully received.
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: Guess what? Speed and stuff

Hi there,
I would be a little bit concerned that your sync speeds are fluctuating to that level.  It might be an idea to try changing your filter and ensuring that you are connecting your modem/router to your master socket via a filter.
BT currently have your profile set to 750Kbps in accordance with your connection speed (this profile updates every three days).
In order to gain a 1000Kbps profile, you would need to be getting stable sync (connection) speeds of 1152Kbps or better.
There's a guide about max speeds in my signature.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which Plusnet speed tester are you using the [Censored]* one on the portal or http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/ ?
Your results do look slow for your IP Profile - have you been through the exercise of tweaking your MTU and RWIN sizes? How do you connect to your router - wired or wireless? If wireless could you see what results you get wired?
Edit: *excrement
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

The results will look slightly lower than expected because of our lacking of a 750Kbps profile so the OP was put onto a 500Kbps profile.  I've since changed this to 1000Kbps.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Jameseh

because of our lacking of a 750Kbps profile

Given that 750 is a 50% improvement over 500 and the next available is 1000 which is a 100% increase, that is a very big gap! Are there any plans to plug it or is it going continue to be handled by you manually fixing it each time it goes wrong?
James
Grafter

We do have plans to fix.
It's just a case of finding some development resource.  Apparently there's actually quite a lot of work involved!
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That doesn't surprise me - presumably it means new profiles or something on the gateways/Ellacoyas to recognise and slow the data stream to the correct rate - not just a simple change to the figure on the portal.
macdougs

Thanks for the advice James.
The modem/router is connected to the master socket and I tried the test socket, but there was no difference.  However, I swapped filters with one on a phone socket and ran another test.  They increased to 721Kbps.  That's a great improvement.

I had run the tests on BT, the not so good one and the one shown.  All results were about the same.
It's going in the right direction. I'll keep an eye on things and maybe try a filtered faceplate.
The guide is very helpful.  Thumbs up for that.
Thanks again!
spiritus

Hi macdougs
I am a long time plusnet user who had similar problems to you, Moved to a new house transfered connection and upgraded to 8mb but found a sudden drop in speed, I thought it was plusnet/bt to blame but no,then router, but no, Finally found out its the internal wiring that plays a major role.
You have to reduce the noise on the line to get better speeds, Firstly Connect to master socket only, inside the master socket remove the ring wire explained here
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/faq/sections/radsl.html#235
Finally you wait 1-2 days for the exchange to change, maybe a few router reboots along the way.
Here is my current speed