cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got plusnet last week, today I need to pay for it again.

andreas1999
Grafter

Got plusnet last week, today I need to pay for it again.

My phone line was with another company but got disconnected on Sunday. I wasn't aware that it would be, but decided then to go with plusnet for both phone and broadband. When I called to ask about it I was told that it would only take 24 hours to connect the phone but that our plusnet broadband had seized and needed to be reconnected.
This reconnection is going to take something like 5 working days, isn't there some way of making that happen faster? I was on plusnet just two days ago so surely it's just a question of someone clicking the "OK" button once the phone line is working? Why is there a signup fee and why is it more than the signup fee I paid just last week when I first signed up for plusnet broadband?
10 REPLIES 10
itsme
Grafter

Re: Got plusnet last week, today I need to pay for it again.

It's a bit more then clicking buttons. Physical wiring has to be done in the exchange which need to be scheduled in.
andreas1999
Grafter

Err..? I was connected using plusnet on Sunday morning and I seriously doubt anything physical has been done to the exchange. Thanks for the reply though..
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT Wholesale will charge Plusnet for connecting you - Plusnet just pass the charge on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
andreas1999
Grafter

Thanks! That explains the extra fee.
I'm still not sure why it takes 24 hour to set up the phone line but 5 days to get the internet restarted though.
adie:quote
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: andreas1999

Err..? I was connected using plusnet on Sunday morning and I seriously doubt anything physical has been done to the exchange. Thanks for the reply though..

Telephone and Broadband are jumpered differently. If you telephone was disconnected BT normally remove the jumpering of the broadband and reinstate telephone only then it's just a case of clicking buttons to enable/disable telephone services. For broadband to be active again on that line jumpering will be required.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why was your phone disconnected? If it was due to an error on the part of another company could you not chase them for the costs you have incurred?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
andreas1999
Grafter

Quote from: itsme
Telephone and Broadband are jumpered differently. If you telephone was disconnected BT normally remove the jumpering of the broadband and reinstate telephone only then it's just a case of clicking buttons to enable/disable telephone services. For broadband to be active again on that line jumpering will be required.

Ok, thank you. But if this is something which has to be done by an engineer at the location of the exchange, I don't see how they had any time to disable it in the first place since it happened on the Sunday.
andreas1999
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Why was your phone disconnected? If it was due to an error on the part of another company could you not chase them for the costs you have incurred?

Yes, if my previous company was responsible for it I would have, but it was my fault. I didn't realize that they'd disconnect both internet and phone. I only asked for the MAC but I suppose the deal was for both phone and internet and not just for phone.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: andreas1999
Ok, thank you. But if this is something which has to be done by an engineer at the location of the exchange, I don't see how they had any time to disable it in the first place since it happened on the Sunday.

Yes it's done at the exchange. Are you on a large exchange? Openreach is nearly a 24/7 company.
andreas1999
Grafter

I'm not sure what counts as large and what doesn't. Sam Knows says it servers approximately 10,925 residential premises, if that's an indicator at all?