cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good speed, but sites hanging.

bluetealeaf

Good speed, but sites hanging.

Hello,

I have had my new Plusnet BB two weeks. I'm getting excellent speeds but I'm sure the service keeps dropping out. Twitter and facebook just hang for ages, and videos are constantly buffering.

I had a slower service with my previous provider, but these issues didn't happen.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have tried the chat function with your support team, but it always appears as offline. Your telephone support was reporting a 30 minute wait time.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Good speed, but sites hanging.

Hi there,

Have you tried a different browser or even a different device on the same connection to see if the same thing happens?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bluetealeaf

I have a mac, two ipads, PS4, and a TV connected to the router at the moment. The issue appears to be just with the ipads.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, are all your devices connected over WiFi or just the iPads?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bluetealeaf

Yeah, everything's on wifi.

gvirtanen

Any further updates on this issue? I think I’m seeing the same thing on my iPhone.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Given that this is all over wifi there are two potential causes...

• WiFi channel swapping
  • WiFi band swapping

Where a router is set to AUTO-SELECT the wifi channel, it will constantly monitor the wifi spectrum and if it determines that the current channel in use does not "look good" it will swap to a "better" channel.  If can then take a moment or two for the attached devices to follow the channel change.  In some cases (I've seen it with printers) they do not follow the channel change at all.

The best resolution for this issue is to make the router stick on the same channel - choose one of 1, 6, 11 - the use of just these channels reduces the potential for WiFi APs to operate with over-lapping channels - co-channel is much less of an issue.  inSSIDer is a useful tool for inspecting the use of the WiFi spectrum in your locality.

Some devices (particularly iDevices) get confused in situations where 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi bands use the same SSID - they flip-flop between the two and the flip-flop takes time.  Consider changing the WiFi router settings so that the 5GHz band has a different SSID name (put '5' on the end) or turn off 5GHz.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.