cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going wireless

MaestroMan
Grafter

Going wireless

I'm still on a wired connection, using the "Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem" PN supplied in 2006.  What's the easiest (and not too expensive!) way to go wireless.  Some reviews say it's a doddle - others claim it's a nightmare, with routers that won't connect etc.  It's all unfamiliar territory for me, so any help would be welcome!
5 REPLIES 5
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Going wireless

We can supply a Thomson wireless router for just the cost of postage (£4.99), so long as you stay with us for 12 months. However, you will need a wireless dongle on your computer if it doesn't have any built in. You can see a good selection at this link.
If you'd like the router then just check your credit / debit card details and raise a ticket Smiley
MaestroMan
Grafter

Thanks Ben, I'll get on with it.  How easy is it to set up the router, and does it replace or work with my present modem?  Sorry, but I'm really a novice on this!
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Don't apologise, we're here to help!
The router replaces your current modem, they're relatively easy to set up because they configure themselves. You'll need to go through the following steps though:
1. Disable or remove your current dial up connection
-In Internet Explorer, click on 'tools' then 'internet options' then 'connections' and choose 'never dial a connection'
2. Run the disk that comes with your wireless adaptor to install it (if you don't already have wireless on your computer)
3. Search for wireless networks and type in the security key
MrT
Grafter

For your information.
I bought the following dongle from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003U9X3HA/ref=oss_product for £6.99 including p&p.
Installation on my desktop running Windows XP Home was a doddle. The connection to my Thomson TG585 Router is fine.
Good luck.
MaestroMan
Grafter

Thanks again, Ben - and for MrT's recommendation.  I'm beginning to see the light - at last!