cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going back to basics (was help with dsl router)

impy14
Grafter

Re: Going back to basics (was help with dsl router)

Hi Chris,
Thanks for taking a look. I'm not panicking but I do like to try and understand a bit more about what it all means and why things happen. I can't find much help anywhere about DMT, so thought I'd throw it to you/anyone else who is looking and it all helps with the learning curve.
I left DMT running last night and have attached the saved file but it only ran till just after one o'clock. Only just got in after a trip up to Cardiff, so a bit tiring but just checked and it's doing similar tonight.
No changes in anything here, and the hedge trimming was husband powered not electrical 😉
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Linda,
I was doing a reply for you a couple of nights ago and had the dreaded blue screen of death, so I haven't had much time to do a detailed reply. Have a read of the following if you want to get technical, I'll come back later with some more specific comment for you (blue screens permiting!)
Edit: Forgot the link - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats_errors.htm
impy14
Grafter

Thanks for the link. I've looked and read and understand most. Have compared with my graph.... but still none the wiser as to 'why' it happens really, just can now understand a bit more about how to read the results.
Look forward to any extra you can add 🙂    Nothing else has happened here over last few days, no disconnections, still doing the same. I restarted router once and it reported 10db straight after starting.
Hope your bsod wasn't down to something failing permanently and you can sort it!
Anotherone
Champion

I've been playing (older machine), if it doesn't behave I'll do what ASBO does to PS3's, oh hang on it won't fit, it'll have to be the order of the boot (at least for m$ - I'll convert it to *nix!!).
OK, let's try a simplified explanation - CRC's and ES's will generally be what occurs, hopefully small numbers of each but ES's less than CRC's. You'll get a few HEC's as well, hopefully a smaller number, higher levels means throughput will suffer as data is re-requested, too many together or too severe will lead to OCD's, don't really want to see them or SES's. You might get an odd one or two if you get a noise spike. You do not want to see the UAS count change once sync is established.
RS Correctable errors will tend to occur in abundance and will probably be at a higher level with greater interleaving depth. I've not seen any real guidance on these and don't have sufficient knowledge, but my gut instinct is that if these start getting close to within a couple of orders of magnitude of the number of RS words, efficiency is likely to be suffering. RSuncorrectable errors at higher levels again means throughput will suffer, and if too severe will lead to more severe errors.
Well I hope that's a fair picture, I expect someone more knowledgeable will come along and put me right if I've made any errors.
With the very low levels you were last reporting, I would say things are OK.
impy14
Grafter

Thanks for that, understood 🙂    Had to turn router off for a while yesterday as we had several powercuts and I didn't want it to keep re-synching each time it came back on.
seems ok this morning, hope it lasts.
One more weeny thing, which is probably a *really* dumb question and I'll kick myself when someone tells me, but what do the pale blue lines on the DMT graph mean? (on the snr fluctation graph )
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Linda,
Very sensible thing to do with power cuts.
Now the not so dumb question - the blue bits are indicative of bit-swapping occurring. If you look at the bit loading graph at the top (of the 3), to the right hand part of the plot, in some of the bins, you'll see a number of grey lines on top of the blue ones. The grey represents the bit swaps in the various "bit buckets" (bins) where it's occurring. This happens when noise levels rise so that the margins on some of the bins is reduced to levels where errors start rising. Do a comparison with the plot below that I've attached, where noise levels aren't bad enough during that period for bit swapping to occur.
impy14
Grafter

Ah right, not something quite as simple as I'd thought then, so glad I asked. I then googled and went and read here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adsl_technology.htm ; so now I understand that a bit more too. Still not sure why it had been fairly steady with very little variation for a few weeks and then started picking up more noise in the evenings but so far, it's not caused a problem.
Thanks for the explanation. 
Linda
Ps. Wattsy seems to have gone quiet, did he get sorted? You get kind of hooked on reading what is happening to other folk and how/when/if their problems get sorted. Hmm or maybe I'm just dead nosey lol.