cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting through!

JoeR
Dabbler

Getting through!

After 2 hours waiting today on the phone to speak to someone my frustration has taken hold! I hope this message gets through to their technical guys as it’s only they who can help I think. I have broadband hard wired to my old office upstairs but since I retired I want to convert the office to a room again and get my broadband direct from my phone outlet in my living room. Unfortunately, although the phone works my router won’t connect as it appears that it needs rewiring at the box. I want this done but just cannot contact Plusnet to get it done (without hours waiting). I am not prepared to spend all day in the hope that they can sort this out. I realise that COVID is causing problems but I am getting very frustrated. I have been a loyal customer of Plusnet for a number of years and normally have nothing but praise for their service. So, if they read this, please give me a ring!
27 REPLIES 27
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Getting through!

@JoeR Is the phone socket in your living room the main one? If so, all you need is a splitter, which plugs into the socket, and has two outlets, one for phone, one for broadband - no rewiring needed.

John
JoeR
Dabbler

Thanks fir this John. I forgot to say in my tirade that I used the splitter supplied by a Plusnet and the routers doesn’t work
jab1
Legend

Does a phone direct into the socket work? If so, all you need is a new splitter, cheap enough online.

John
JoeR
Dabbler

The phone works fine from the socket and fine using the splitter. It’s just the router which won’t connect.
jab1
Legend

Which router is it, and which cable are you trying to use? I'm confused?😉

John
JoeR
Dabbler

It says on the back of the router that it is a Plusnet-GQHS. It works perfectly from the hard wired room that was my ex office. It does not work from the downstairs phone jack with the splitter connected. I am using the cable supplied in the box by Plusnet. As I said the phone works perfectly at the hack and via the splitter.
jab1
Legend

OK, @JoeR . This is not a wiring problem, as you get a phone connection with and without the splitter in the downstairs (presumably master) socket.

How was it connected upstairs? Did you use the splitter up there? If you didn't, then the only suggestion I can make is that the DSL socket on the splitter is faulty, and for ~ £5.00 you should be able to get a new one.

Difficult to really advise without knowing the set up you were/are using, but I'm trying. 😉

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

My guess is that your master socket is in the upstairs office and is a nte5c ( with a separate phone and dsl socket ) is that correct ?

In which case t's likely that the socket downstairs is a filtered phone socket. This means that there is no DSL signal to the downstairs socket. The router wont work there unless the wiring is changed in the upstairs socket.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

Thanks, @MisterW . Not being anywhere as clued-up as you, I didn't think of that, which is why I asked how it is/was connected.

John
JoeR
Dabbler

You are doing a great job. Bit of history. I got ADSL years ago with madasafish. Remember them. They hard wired my office from the main box outside my front door. I didn’t need to use a splittter because it was a dedicated adsl line (if that makes sense) and I used a mobile phone. I knew that when I wanted to use the main box inside the house that I needed a splitter to connect the router so I used the one supplied with my router and the cable they also supplied. Is it a wiring problem in the box outside my house? Does the main box inside need separate wiring for adsl?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Can you post a picture of the box in your office ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JoeR
Dabbler

MisterW I suspect you are right. How do I resolve the problem? Is it a diy job?
JoeR
Dabbler

How do I attach a pic? I have taken one. It’s an ADSL V10 if that’s any help. There are separate DSL and phone jacks
jab1
Legend

To attach a pic, copy it to your PC, then when composing the reply, click the icon 3rd from right (between the smiley and camera icons), browse to the picture on your computer, left click and let it load, then click the 'done' button on the bottom right.

The ADSL V10 means nothing to me.😉

John