cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting 'the most' from first ten days

manfromthezoo
Grafter

Getting 'the most' from first ten days

Hello all. It's been while since I was last here!
Just bought my first house, and signed back up with Plusnet (long story that ended up with me having to cancel from getting mucked about with move dates by our chain - but that's by-the-by).
Firstly, I'm really pleased to now be 339 metres from the exchange. So, instead of the 2Mbps we were managing at our old rented property, we're now getting 13 - 15Mbps!  Cool At the moment, I have an iPlate fitted, but might in the future just fit a master filtered faceplate and run a dedicated modem connection point somewhere like I have before. Might be able to squeeze a bit more by totally isolating the (small) extension wiring circuit altogether and not just choking bell wire, which is what the iPlate does.
Anyhow, I have two questions:
1) The BT Wholesale estimate for the property was 17MB. I'm aware this is sync speed estimate and not throughput, but was just wondering if 13-15Mbps is to be expected once the line has 'settled'. The router (Billion PIPAC 5200G) is synched at around 18000Kbps - can't remember the exact figure, but currently it's an annoying 75K away from the next BRAS profile!
2) What should I do to really make the most of the first ten day period? I know Plusnet recommend three or four router reboots during that time. Anecdotal experiences welcome, too.
Above all, I'm aware my speeds will be all over the place for ten days - I'm just looking to do the best I can to make the most of my new connection.
Cheers!
6 REPLIES 6
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Getting 'the most' from first ten days

My ADSL2+ connection delivers around 82% of the sync speed in throughput, and yours looks similar (although much bigger numbers!  :P)
"Around 80%" is the figure I've seen quoted several times, so I don't think there is too much you need to do except optimise the quality of your indoor wiring/filters etc. to give it the best possible chance.
If the upload is currently capped (it will be around 440 sync) you can of course get PN to uncap it for you.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

but currently it's an annoying 75K away from the next BRAS profile!

Discrete BRAS profiles aren't used anymore. Profiles on 21CN are now 88.2% of your synch speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

manfromthezoo
Grafter

Thanks, both.
I think I'll leave the router another 24 - 48 hours, and then do another reboot.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi manfromthezoo,
With your sync rate currently at 18228 your BT profile will be 16077, so your throughput shouldn't be far off that. I'm not sure how much difference rebooting will make.
Jojo Smiley
manfromthezoo
Grafter

Thanks all.
Joanne - thanks for looking at that. I did a speed test this morning, and was getting ever so slightly over 15Mbps. More commonly I've been getting mid-to-high 14Mbps. Would you say that's about right?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It can depend on lots of things, time of day, wired or wireless, computer performance, but it's not far from the truth. My profile is 15400 and I'm not too fussed, normally get about 12-13meg on wireless which is good enough for me Smiley