cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Disconnected after Midnight - Why?

Gorvul
Grafter

Re: Getting Disconnected after Midnight - Why?

and my exchange showed
"no records"
for major service outages...
I don't think they'd class the brief disconnects as Major Service Outages though.
Thanks for the link though jelv.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I understand that BT have been doing software upgrades at exchanges all over the country from midnight/1am to 6am over the last 4 mornings, and there is some indication that, while not supposed to be customer affecting, some users have briefly lost connection during that time.
I can't confirm the source of this information, however.
Gorvul
Grafter

ah ok, thanks, that would make some sense.  Maybe they've been doing this kind of work for a while though, as I've often noticed it after midnight for much longer than the last few nights.  Not every night, but maybe it's a regular kind of thing that they do..
When the Plusnet staff come back tomorrow, can you help me in raising a fault in the easiest way possible please,  without me having to go through hoops and over barrels about btspeedtests and faceplates and 101 questions...

evening and ping worse and connection quality now Grade B when I feel that with the package I'm on with PN that I should have Grade A.  It's usually Grade A.  This is a pretty recent thing (last few evenings), but I was having a similar problem back in April/May.
I've noticed a lot of Plusnet adverts on the TV recently, and my suspicious mind thinks that PN have  alot more customers now which is effecting my connection.  I purposely chose the package which tries to guarantee maximum quality of line (or something like that), so methinks I'd like this investigated further now.
I'll attempt to raise a fault now, but I don't want to spend all nght trrying to do it!

OK, I've just raised a fault -   ID  -   36732977
I kinda raised it as a speed problem, but perhaps I should've raised it as a connection problem. I don't know, I just want to get the ball rolling.  TO sum up, I want good pings all times of the day please Smiley
I'd quite like more than 4Mbs too if it can be done, and if the disconnects were sorted out that'd be great!   Oh, and can I have some chocolate cake please?
No seriously, the ping thing is my main concern now, as I don't like it getting worse every evening (started about 3 or 4 nights ago).
Gorvul
Grafter

Has my Plusnet Pro package been downgraded without my knowing it?
  Sad
I had to stop playing my favourite online game because it was too laggy.  I want to reboot the router (I want to boot more than the router tbh), but as I've raised a fault this might interfere with any tests that might be going on.
Grrr... I want my proper pings back.  Can you sort this out for me as soon as possible on my ticket please, as I rely on a good service.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I don't think your Pingtest is a very good speedtester:-

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Gorvul
Grafter

I don't know about the accuracy of pingtest, but I imagine it conveys something ....... .  I just making the point that my ping is getting worse each evening for me for the last few days, to the point where it's ruining my internet enjoyment/entertainment.  I pay for the package where I'm meant to get good pings.  This problem is only recent, and my norm should be Grade A resutls from pingtest, like it normally is.
I sympathise with you if you're not meant to be getting such bad ping results..... Sad
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Which server you are pinging makes a difference. That looks terrible when in fact the latency on my line is excellent, but if I want to check out the latency on my connection I should chose an appropriate server.
Remember all Plusnet lines connect to the internet in London so you need to pick a server close to there.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gorvul
Grafter

ah right - I just assumed that pingtest chose the best server automatically - I wasn't manually choosing the server, but now I see they chose a server in Manchester and in Dublin... That doesn't seem right does it?   Why would they choose those places as my best server?
What I do know is that I'm lagging too much to take any risks in online gaming at the moment, which is something I don't need a test to confirm.... A while ago it was like wading through treacle....
edit:
I just read latest Service Status, and planned maintenance:
"What does the work involve?
We need to back out a recent change we have made to our traffic management switches that is causing performance problems for some customers between 6.00pm-10.00pm in the evening. Once the change has been backed out, we will need to reload all of the switches."
ooooh - I'm really hoping that this maintenance will solve my ping problem Smiley  *crossing fingers now!!!*
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Rather than using pingtest.net, which isn't the most reliable way to measure ping, can you try the following:
open a command prompt
Start > run > type in 'cmd' and press enter
type 'ping bbc.co.uk' and copy/paste the results in here.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Gorvul
Grafter

Thanks Chris.
Chris, do you think that the maintenance happening early tomorrow morning will sort my problem out?  As the problems for me are in the evenings, not in the morning...
I edited my above post to include quote from latest service status planned work
"What does the work involve?
We need to back out a recent change we have made to our traffic management switches that is causing performance problems for some customers between 6.00pm-10.00pm in the evening. Once the change has been backed out, we will need to reload all of the switches."

also, how do I copy the results from the command window?
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: A
I don't think your Pingtest is a very good speedtester:-
By chance and curiosity I used both Ping and Speed test earlier. Ping on one was double the other, though speed itself seemed to my expectations
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Gorvul
also, how do I copy the results from the command window?

Enter
ping bbc.co.uk > filename.txt

file filename.txt can be opened with notepad for copy and paste...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can copy the text direct from the command window!
Right click the C:\ icon in the top left corner and select Edit, Mark. Drag the area to copy and then hit enter.
If in the properties you enable quick edit mode you can just drag over the area to copy.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Gorvul
Grafter

thanks guys
I'm hoping that the planned works tomorrow morning are going to solve my problem
Ping vastly improved since 10pm.. so fingers crossed (metaphorically only, or I wouldn't be able to type this)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The maintenance work you've quoted won't have any impact on you as that's to rectify an issue with some of our Madasafish customers seeing slow speeds.
Try the ping as outlined by myself and others if you get any problems again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.