cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get BT to change my exchange...

sarahandjohn

Get BT to change my exchange...

Hi All,
I have been hunting around for an answer to this for a while, and short of getting some half hearted salesy response from a BT call center part-timer, I thought I'd ask it here.
How do I get BT to change which exchange I'm connected to, and would this give me better, faster broadband?  I currently get a sync speed of around 1900k and a throughput of about 1500-1600k, but I'm greedy and want more!    Cheesy
I currently live in Swindon (SN3 2NP, http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchangelist.php?filter_field=cou.name&filter_value=Swindon), quite a large town with 9 exchanges.  My current exchange is called "SWINDON" (SN1 1QT) which is 2.3 miles by car (according to Google) - this gives an estimated line distance of around 3 miles (2.3 * 1/3).
My downstream attenuation is 63, which gives me an estimated line distance of 2.79 miles (4.5km from http://www.kitz.co.uk), so say around 2.9 miles as an average.  
There aren't are "closer" exchanges, but in changing my current exchange, would I get a better quality copper cable than I currently have, and newer or different equipment in the exchange?  Would BT charge the earth for this, or is there a way to get it for free?  Wink  If I get a new phone line, can I choose the exchange it gets connected to?
Other than that, I have Cat6 cable my side of the NTE5 master socket for about 5 meters to the modem, a range of expensive filters available (currently using the one that gives the fastest speed), and a Netgear DG834PN modem/router.
All in all from when I moved in two years ago, I've managed to scrape about 600k of improvement from my first cheap dodgy router and miles of extention cable.  Roll_eyes
Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Get BT to change my exchange...

Hi,
You could pay them several thousands of pounds to reroute your cabling.  They *will not* do it otherwise.
I know speeds are a pain, but unfortunately it's exactly how broadband works and there really isn't any way of moving you closer to the exchange or changing your wiring routing without you paying for it.
sarahandjohn

Thanks for the reply.
Kinda what I guessed, just needed some confirmation...
Hows about getting a new line - can I choose what exchange it comes from?
James
Grafter

I wouldn't have thought so.  When you're paying for a new line, you're really just paying for the line rom the junction box on your street to your house.
Not all the wiring to the exchange.
sarahandjohn

oh, of course, that would make sense really!
With this new ADSL2 stuff, do you know what would be the likely increase in speed I would get? or do you need some details?
My modem is already compatible, so I won't need any new hardware...
James
Grafter

I'd expect a slight improvement, but not that much.  Hopefully an extra Mbps Smiley
sarahandjohn

well, better than nothing i suppose! 😉
either that or
A. Move house
B. Live in the broom cupboard at work
C. Virgin media (not after my friends experience!)
mal0z
Grafter

You're telephone wiring will be a cable pair to a junction box either in a road side cabinet, or an underground junction. From there - it is part of a multipair cable, typically 50 pairs which then goes to the exchange by the most direct route possible.
So unless there is another multi-pair cable in your local junction box which goes to another exchange ( I would have thought this unlikely ) you couldn't be connected to another exchange.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

You could always go for a leased line, though your bills might increase somewhat!  Cheesy
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

or get a private micro wave link, also pretty pretty
itsme
Grafter

I live 0.5 miles from an exchange but my exchange is 3 miles away. The demarcation line for the 2 exchanges is 100 yds up the road.
I know that a BT employee living closer to the demarcation line asked to be put on to the closer exchange as I saw the worksheet. Not sure if it was completed as the telephone equipment was from the further exchange with the adsl and the tie pair out on the closer exchange.
Denzil
Grafter

Quote from: sarahandjohn
oh, of course, that would make sense really!
With this new ADSL2 stuff, do you know what would be the likely increase in speed I would get? or do you need some details?
My modem is already compatible, so I won't need any new hardware...

If your downstream attenuation is 63dB ADSL2 iwll not hel much, if at all. See <a href="http://community.plus.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg">here</a>.