_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Generic angry customer rant within

Do you have a broadband router with firewall, if so block port 25 outbound
bluejam
Grafter

I have quite a few dormant email accounts, I'll have to check all of those and probably just delete them, I'll see if that helps.
I have AVG and Spybot, I'll run those again later.
I'll be back to report any changes from doing this, thanks for your speedy help everybody.
edit: I have my router firewall turned off, CN.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Since your router firewall has been turned off do you have firewalls on your individual computers?  If you are relying on the built-in Windows firewall my understanding is that allows unrestricted outbound traffic.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you are just relying on the Windows firewall you should try something like ZoneAlarm. Every program that tries to connect outbound to the internet will give a pop-up for you to approve. If you do have something untoward on your PC that will become apparent very quickly.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

If you do have a virus (or someone else who has found a way to  use your connection does), or if there is some other source of traffic heavily utilising your upstream, it would explain why you get so many timeouts.
I just tested using one of our test lines, with Level 3 management applied and found that browsing felt fine. That should perform in the same way as yours, so I doubt your problem is as a direct result of the management.
Do you just have the one PC and the laptop connected to your connection?
Ian
bluejam
Grafter

Yes, one PC and a laptop.
Over the past three days I have ran spyware and virus checks with my current software and alternate ones. It seemed to pick up a few minor things which I deleted, but this hasn't improved the situation at all.
The pattern seems to be consistent: at around 6pm it starts to dramatically slow down with constant timeouts and it becoming virtually impossible to use MSN messenger. This typically continues all night, but can ease off around 1am.
I've checked my email accounts for anything going out and I really can't see any evidence of that being the case, so that's odd. I'll setup a firewall and see if this helps at all.
God
Grafter

I reckon it's a good idea to run ZA or similar even if you have a hardware firewall. I use ZA to tell me what is trying to get out rather than in!