cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

Ah ok I get you, we pay line rental to plus-net, please excuse my ignorance, when it comes to this stuff I am a bit slow lol, I assumed they were separate, which is silly really considering they plug into the same socket, I just thought there was a wire for phone and a wire for broadband.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

Ah, understandable, no worries. Well that makes life a bit easier in that getting the line tested should be a lot easier as Chris has been following this. Is you ticket #119027789. still open?  Log into the member centre (first link in my sig should take you to your tickets) and add the detail
...we are having problems with our phone line being dead and no dial tone (comes and goes) also people phoning us not being able to hear us as we have  silence and so do they, people try and phone us and it doesn't ring this end or it rings 2 or 3 times then rings off

I would add further emphasis that the problem is intermittent and that you didn't realise that it was connected to your broadband problem.
Hopefully Chris will pick this up and run a Copper Line Test (CLT) and hope that at least some fault is showing and get the ticket moved to the phone pool.
When a CLT is run you will lose the connection for just under three minutes whilst the test is done.
Because it's intermittent, it may not show as a fault on any given test, but from the way you've described what is happening I'm hoping that there will be at least one fault that will show up.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Good morning.  Yes that question is still open I shall add the details to if in a minute, fingers crossed if shows something that explains what is going on with my line. 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

So just on an off-chance I checked usage last night for the period you were having those horrific pings, between 8-9pm. During that time you used nearly 200MB upload, which with the upload speed on your line means it was being used at it's maximum for over 30 minutes during that time, there was also around 2GB download during that period.
I know I said earlier that upload didn't appear to be the issue, but last night did correlate nearly perfectly with when you were seeing problems.
Hopefully Chris will pick this up and run a Copper Line Test (CLT) and hope that at least some fault is showing and get the ticket moved to the phone pool.
When a CLT is run you will lose the connection for just under three minutes whilst the test is done.

That depends if it's run as part of a KBD test (on the broadband connection) or a standalone line test on the phone line. FYI I'm going to run both.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend

Copper line test passed, both ways of testing.
Resolution/Recommendation: KBD test indicates no BTW network fault. Please review your End User checks, If no other underlying Issues are found, use Self Service Repair to Increase the SNR margin, apply Interleaving etc
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for that Chris, the ticket still needs to keep this noted as a phone fault, tracking down the location of said fault is, as with all intermittent faults, likely to be a pain in the rear end.
As for what was uploading and causing the lag, thanks for the detail Chris, I wonder if Alex can shed any light on that. It might be a case of trying to monitor in a different way, not sure at present.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

See that's where I am confused at the time of those pings/slow speeds we had nothing uploading/downloading about 30 min before I had an update on my xbox one which was applied but at the times of the slow speeds there was nothing Happening apart from me being on my tab my xbox was switched on at the time mind.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

With the update on the Xbox we download the update and it installs would it have uploaded anything at the same time?
Anotherone
Champion

I don't know the answer to that particular question Alex, probably best if you ask that one on the Gaming Board.
OK, as far as the disconnections go, we need to eliminate a few things so we can be categoric about them. I suggest the following - check that rebooting the Xbox doesn't cause the 2704n to reboot as I explained last night.
After that test, unplug the Xbox from it's ethernet connection and make sure only your Tablet is connected (I assume you managed to identify all the MAC addresses of devices connected to the 2704n by process of elimination as previously mentioned?).
Login to the 2704n and check the stats and Uptimes and note. Then check that hitting the Disconnect button is not causing loss of sync - the Broadband light will start flashing if it does. Double check stats and Uptimes again to be sure.
Whilst the PPP is disconnected, pull the power plug on the 2704n and then wait about a minute before unplugging it from the filter and the filter from the Master socket.
Looking at your picture of the master socket, it'll be wise to check as best we can that there aren't oxidised or corroded contacts on the faceplate and test socket. So remove the two screws on the lower part of the faceplate and then gently withdraw it. This should expose the test socket.
Plug your phone lead directly into the test socket and do the Quiet Line Test. Remove the phone plug and plug it in and out several times to help remove any surface oxidation. Then repeat the Quiet Line Test. Ifyou hear any crackling noises etc., report back.
Now look at the face plate. The front socket - you should see the 4 contacts, all parallel with the sides of the socket and angled down at about 30 degrees. Plug say the filter in and out of it a few times to help ensure no surface oxidation. Then gently refit and remove the face plate to the test socket a few times to do the same for it's plug. Then with the faceplate in position, do the Quiet Line Test again. Repoirt back if you hear any noise. Remove the faceplate again and leave it off for the time being.
Plug the filter direct into the test socket and connect every thing up and power up the 2704n and report stats and anything else.
Anotherone
Champion

@Chris, just on this usage, is the account connected to the ticket the same as the account connected to the forum registration? Just thought it was worth checking.
@Alex, I'll post back again this evening.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Not a problem I'm heading out myself just now so I will have to do this later on I shall get back to you once it's done.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Hi AO I'm sorry that I haven't been in touch works been hectic not had a chance to think about the internet I shall do the things you have asked in next couple of days and get back to you.
Anotherone
Champion

No rush, in your own time Smiley  Just keep an eye on your usage though if/when you can, just in case. It's a shame Chris didn't come back just to double check, don't really want to be going on any wild-goose chases.
Chris
Legend

Are you streaming to Twitch or watching other people stream? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,149049.msg1310748.html#msg1310748
If you are streaming to Twitch then that explains your upload usage completely.
Chris
Legend

Quote from: Anotherone
@Chris, just on this usage, is the account connected to the ticket the same as the account connected to the forum registration? Just thought it was worth checking.

yes