cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

alexemmaburns
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

I think I need to reply to my question and get them to have open reach come out and test our line.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Gaming problems, is it down to my Internet or is it down to the 2704n router

Being plugged into the test socket with a phone only and still hearing some noise and fuzziness is a way to confirm to yourself that there is a phone fault. You can emphasise that point to faults - on the ticket if it isn't already on it clearly, and ask them if they have done a full copper line test (CLT) to see if that shows any obvious faults.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

I will do that now they wanted me to decide whether to go through with it because of the £50 charge if it's internal.  I know Chris did a CLT the other day which he said passed I assume that wasn't a full CLT?
Anotherone
Champion

It probably was a full CLT, but if it's an intermittent problem, it won't show on every test and some marginal faults don't show on the remote test anyway. It might be a good idea to check with an another corded handset (borrow one if need be) just to be sure.
If your phone is in the test socket and nothing else is connected, it cannot be internal, when you make your last call before an engineer is booked, make sure you state that's what the situation is as you make the call - and that they log that on the ticket. Check the ticket after to make sure that was done. If it wasn't  - add it yourself.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Ah right I get you.  Yeah I bought a second cordedline the other day to test and same response.  I have connected my broadband into the test socket with microfilter to see what happens over next few hours I'm going to try leave the phone unplugged while I am doing this see what happens with just broadband pluggedinto test sicket.
I have added details asking for an engineer to visir andasked about the CLT line test just waiting on a response
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Will it affect my connection having plugged directly into test socket?
Anotherone
Champion

It just eliminates any possibility of the faceplate (connections) and any internal wiring to extensions etc (if you had any) from contributing to any problem.
What a lot of people don't appreciate is that when you have an NTE5a Master socket any extension wiring and sockets are the responsibility of the end user, and that it can (depending on the standard of the wiring) affect the broadband connection. If a user has a problem which disappears when connected to the test socket, then by elimination the problem must be related to everything that is connected normally.
If any fault is intermittent, sometimes one is lulled into a false sense of security because it didn't happen to show when connected to the test socket !!
If extension wiring is to the correct standard and configured correctly, with no faults, then the broadband should be unaffected whichever socket is being used.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Ah right get you we have no extensions in the house thankfully apart from that cable box that sits next to the bt socket (i dont have a clue what that is for) I have had a reply from customer service but i missed the phone call, they are arranging for an engineer to come out and test our line this week I think,  I have replied just waiting to find when they are coming.  
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Hi AO just an update, I had an open reach engineer out today and he couldn't detect noise with his machine, he thinks it's a broadband problem and that we need a broadband engineer rather than him, he put a new master socket on but that was all he could do.  He says we should have a fantastic connection here due to the close proximity to the exchange 500 from where we are.
Edit: spoke with plusnet a nice customer service guy I spoke to yesterday has phoned me back today to see how all went, they are have to raise a broadband fault so hopefully this will get things sorted once and for all.
Anotherone
Champion

That sounds like good news. A new master socket is always a good idea when you have one that is quite old, and he would have been able to do thorough line tests which remote testing isn't overly good at. This has progressed in the right way IMHO, get the line thoroughly checked out first.
Did he fit the Mk3 SSFP for you?
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

Yeah I agree, although when I explained what was going on with the line to the engineer he said that plusnet had only told him about the noisy line he had no other details,  but after he had done tests he said the problem is more likely to be a broadband fault which he couldn't deal with which is fine as everything is moving in the right direction now Smiley
For the past 2 nights we have been down as low as 1mb DL and 0.4 upload speeds seems all over the place I couldn't run thetests you asked me to run as had to go out, but i rang plusnet straight away when I got back and spoke to a guy the one who phoned back today, very helpful and polite.
Can I ask the engineer said my line should be getting good speeds due to how close I am to the exchange, should ADSL get more than 1mb upload speeds? Or am I capped do you think?
I am unsure what socket the engineer put on is there any way of telling? He just said it was an up to date one?
I wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for all your help to date it has been invaluable and greatly appreciated so thank you very much Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

No problem with the help. If you have the Mk3 plate it will say MK3 on the top RH corner and it has the RJ11 socket at the top for the Modem/router it saves having a dangly filter, the standard phone socket below is as before. When the BB engineer calls, ask if he could fit one.
The maximum residential upload speed with Plusnet on ADSL2+ is 1200kbps if you are close enough to the exchange. If your line is good quality copper, you might get around 17Mbps downstream sync speeds based on the attenuation reported by the 2704n and probably about 1Mbps upstream.
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

I'm not sure to be honest here is a pic, no numbers or letters on it though do I need to take faceplate off?  I shall ask if they haven't put that one in.
Ah I get you, about a week or so ago I was getting between 1.3 and 2mb upload but only for a couple of days so I assume my line is capable of those speeds?  It's mad as when it comes to gaming you need a decent upload speed, Activision support said mine was far to low and I should contact my ISP to speak about getting it upped at the time it was 0.80mb
alexemmaburns
Rising Star

So after the engineer saying he thinks I have a broadband fault rather than a phone fault and saying I need a broadband engineer plusnet are sending out another phone engineer rather than a broadband engineer? Im confused. 
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Looking over your fault ticket, I can see you've advised you're experiencing no dial tone intermittently. If this is the case, this could be causing your broadband problems, however I don't believe a broadband fault would cause no dial tone.
When the engineer comes, it's best to stick with having them investigate why you are experiencing no dial tone intermittently and not mention anything about broadband as they may then fob you off without investigating the intermittent phone fault which could well be causing your broadband problems.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet