cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gamer worried about new speed problem

Relica
Grafter

Gamer worried about new speed problem

Over the last few days my connection which was stable has really slowed down. I can only get 2mb due to my distance from the exchange. Even though it's only 2mb my connection has always been pushing this 2mb limit and has been fine for gaming.
It's now less than 1mg when I do a speed test, however, the upload speed remains constant. I have raised the question with Plusnet and they say its to do with disconnections although I am not aware of this only when I turn the router off at night.
Customer service have said they will now put interleaving on my line (not 100% sure what this is) but apparently I have read that this increases pings and will have a negative effect on gaming.
I am not sure why the speed has dropped I have done virus and spyware tests. I have also upgraded my router drivers and plugged the cable directly into the BT master socket.
Should I ask Plusnet to remove interleaving. I am not sure what to do with my service now as it has always been OK.
22 REPLIES 22
James
Grafter

Re: Gamer worried about new speed problem

Hiya,
It's quite possible that interleaving has fixed the problem on your line.  Interleaving is a form of line error correction which adds stability to your connection.  It does however cause a slight increase in latency.
How are you finding your gaming currently?  If it's okay I'd be inclined to say that you would be better off keeping interleaving turned on, otherwise the connection dropping problem might reooccur.
What are your speeds like currently?
Relica
Grafter

Thank you for the quick response. I don't think the interleaving has been fully implemented yet. My speed is less than 1mb though and it was touching 2mb before my problems started.
I just want things as they were and can't understand that a rock solid connection has become a problem and that interleaving is being included on my line when previously it wasn't  I haven't done any gaming in recent days due to the slow speeds.
Regarding another matter some one said to adjust Mtu and Rwinn in my settings. What should the Mtu be for a 2mb connection. I can make adjustments in my Netgear router modem and through XP.
James
Grafter

Hi,
I would use an MTU of 1430 and a Receive Window (rWin) of 27800.
However, looking at your line, that isn't going to help.  Basically the problem is that the signal speed from your router to the exchange has decreased, which is presumably down to BT having increased your target noise margin - something they do when they see some instability.  You'll need to keep a stable connection for awhile before that increases again so can you keep an eye on things to make sure that your connection isn't dropping?
Relica
Grafter

Thanks I am still confused about this though as like I said I have never witnessed a problem. Is BT confusing the line dropping with me turning the router modem off at night. Usually I turn the router on or the kids do at 4.00pm each day and it stays on until midnight or eevn longer at the weekend.
I asked this question via the plusnet reporting system; is my turning off the router being seen as the line dropping? Can't BT just put me back on the 2mb connection and I will leave the router modem on permanently?
James
Grafter

We're talking about five or more disconnections each day, rather than just your turning the router off at night.
It has been stable for the last 36 hours though so hopefully a step in the right direction Smiley
Relica
Grafter

Plusnet have sent me a print out of all my resent internet connection drops and I am 100% sure it is when I or the misses has turned off the router modem. We keep nothing in standby in the house to save the environment and money. What we didn't realise is this can be seen at the exchange as having connection problems.
Since my line was reset I am only getting 1mb download speed when will it return to the 1.8mb I was getting before BT reset it? I have had the modem on for days now but my speed won't come up to what it was.
James
Grafter

Hi,
If you could try rebooting the router first thing every morning for a few days, to see if this results in BT allowing you to regain your higher connection speeds?
Relica
Grafter

Didn't think of that! BT won't think I am having problems again and reset me will they? Thanks
Denzil
Grafter

No, switching on and off once or twice a day should not make a difference. It is only if it is turned on and off a number of times that the exchange starts to assume it is a connection problem. The idea of turning it on first thing is that there is a minimum of electrical activity in the area at the time, so you are likely to get the best sync speed.
Relica
Grafter

Thanks for the advice. Well I am paying £18 a month for a 1mb connection at the moment and as you can imagine I am not very happy. Do you have any ideas when the exchange will start to increase my line to the 2mb I was getting?
Also is it OK to play online with a 1mb connection?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you post your modem/router's ADSL line stats, we might be able to give a better feel for things.
This may help http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php if you're not sure how to get the stats.
Relica
Grafter

I will do that thanks. Apparently, Plusnet are increasing my line speed today. I am not sure what this means. Does it mean I will get faster than 2mb?
Currently I can only get 2mb max due to my distance from the exchange but at the moment I am getting just under 1mbsince my problems started  and when I did a speed test last night both my upload and download were rubbish.
Plusnet are very good at trying to help the customer resolve problems but I wish they would explain why they are doing things.
Relica
Grafter

Confused about the advice plusnet CS are giving me. I did a speed test late last night and had a upload speed of 1872 but my download speed was 127.
I spoke to a CS rep yesterday at 4.00pm before the speed improved and he said that my line would need to remain connected for a period of 72 hours before I would see an improvement in my speed. This is obviously incorrect.
Like I have said before I accept that 2mb is all I can get but but why would my download speed improve without the upload.
When the test does the upload bit it stalls before starting again is this significant?  Upload, you asked me to post my stats but I am not sure how to do this from my netgear router.
Thanks for the help so far.
rickinyorkshire
Grafter

Hi Relica,
I think you have the speeds confused, i would presume the 1872 would be your download speed and 127 your upload. In regards to your router stats, iirc you would need to log in by typing 192.168.1.1 into your browser. If you have not done this before, the username would be 'admin' and password would be 'admin'. I'm sure someone will correct me. Once logged in you can navigate aorund and check status and statistics etc.