Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game server query..

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Game server query..

Hi
A member of an online forum i visit has announced he intends to create a 3d game for a popular TV show.
I've offered to write the game server based on his choice of TCP or UDP.
What I'd like to know is if I host the finished server on my network, is it going to
a) be allowed
b) be victim of traffic shaping
c) be restricted in any other way shape or form.
Please be honest as in the long run it will make it easier for us to plan ahead and find another server if I can't host it myself. (EG might find a windows VPS for it instead)
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
7 REPLIES 7
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Game server query..

How will the server respond with your limited upload speed (448k)? How many players do you expect at a time?
How much traffic will your server get (don't forget PN count uploads and downloads)? Is that within the allowances for you account?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
7up
Community Veteran

I would expect no more than 15 users at any one time. 448K is plenty really - much better than trying to host on 56k Wink Seriously I think 448k is fast enough. While is isn't as fast as T1 or VDSL its still far better than 56k through msn's zone!
BW not known at this point in time but probably 50-100MB per day. (Yes I'm aware of the uploads counting Wink )
Spider
Grafter

The other problem you may find is with traffic shaping if the Plusnet systems don't correctly identify the game. As long as it is correctly identified it will receive a high priority on all but Pro of the current products.
If all the players are UK based then you should be fine with the 448K upload speed. The problem I encountered was with the american players, they did suffer at times when I had a lower upload speed.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
There wouldn't be any issue from this end if you were to host a server on your home connection.  I imagine quite a number of people do so.  From a traffic management perspective, as already alluded to, it depends how the traffic is tagged.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just make sure you give us a pre-release version of the game.  We'll then make sure it gets identified properly!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
zubel
Community Veteran

Or run it through a BBYW Pro account, which ensures everything is classified as Gold or above Smiley
B.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: Kelly
Just make sure you give us a pre-release version of the game.  We'll then make sure it gets identified properly!

Lol well I'll talk to he author - He's not started it yet so it will be some way off until I start writing the server..
I'm sure you'll have fun with it though Wink