cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrating but interesting speed issue

Highlighted
clarepennyazale

Frustrating but interesting speed issue

On Friday, we had two power cuts. Following these we had no broadband and crossed lines on the home phone (both with PlusNet). A fault was identified on the line outside the house, which was mended on Sunday. Since then, my router, a Billion Bipac 7800dxl, has reported incoming speed to the house in the range 1.9 - 2.2 Mbps, which is our standard speed. However, with wireless switched off at the router, and only one wired connection to a Windows 10 desktop computer, BroadbandSpeedChecker reports speeds in range 0.04-0.09 Mbps. I have swapped the router to a BT HomeHub, in case the Billion had been damaged, but the same was the case with the HomeHub.
My initial thought was a background download, but I can find no evidence of this. I have tried diagnosing the network connection, and resetting it, plus numerous reboots, but all to no avail.
Does anyone have any suggestions please?
3 REPLIES 3
PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Frustrating but interesting speed issue

can you test it using a different machine wired into the router?

Have you tried different speed testers?

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Gel
All Star
Fixes: 20

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 168

Testing your line is showing it's connected at around 2Mb/s, however the line is showing a very high number of errors. Can you ensure the router is in the master socket, with no extension leads in place please. If you dial 17070 from a handset do you hear any noise on the line?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.