Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent line dropouts.

hamilton36
Grafter

Frequent line dropouts.

Hi,
My router -Belkin 54G - drops the connection quite often and this can last from 30 seconds to hour or more.  I could not connect at 01.30hrs on 17th May and also on the 19th when the line dropped several times between 00.30 and 01.30hrs.
Can you please check my line and let me know what is causing this.
Many thanks,
Alex
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Frequent line dropouts.

Have you tried a different router to see if that eliminates the problem?
David
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
Have you tried a different router to see if that eliminates the problem?

No, I have not, because the "fault" is not regular I don't want to sit by the computer waiting for it to happen.  I also get frequent "Server mail.plus.net not found" when all the router lights are on and I am connected to Belkin defailt gateway.  I can see from the messages on this forum that the other people are experiencing similar problems, so I wanted a response from Plus.net.
amcclean
Rising Star

Hi Hamilton36,
when you have the issues are all your lights still green?
have you raised a ticket?
is there a set time during the day when the connction cuts?
are you using the most up to date firmware?
have you just moved from 20cn ro 21cn?
when the problem arises have a look at the routers home page does it still have internet connected?
can you ping using the command line?
are you connected via cavble or wireless to your router and have you set it to cut wireless between set times?
podman
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I suggest trying  a different router, You don't need to sit watching anything If your router keeps logs.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
hamilton36
Grafter

Quote from: podman
Hi Hamilton36,

when you have the issues are all your lights still green?
No, Podman. The Internet light is out.

have you raised a ticket?
is there a set time during the day when the connction cuts?
are you using the most up to date firmware?
have you just moved from 20cn ro 21cn?
I have not raised a ticket. I don't know how to do that. The connection cuts have all been after midnight. On 17th  May at 01.30hrs when I was trying to download plugins for IrfanView. I gave up. Again on 19th May the connection dropped several times between 00.30 and 01.30hrs. I was trying to activate my credit card. I got onto the site, logged in and then the line dropped. Soon after the line was back on and I tried again but the line dropped as I was typing my credit card number, so I gave up.  A few days ago the line must have dropped in the night because the Internet light was out when I tried to get my emails in the morning.  I don't know if I am using the most up to date firmware (how can I check?), but I have not had any problems over the past few days. I don't know what you mean by moving from 20cn to 21cn, but I have not changed anything.

when the problem arises have a look at the routers home page does it still have internet connected?
can you ping using the command line?
When this type of problem arises the routers home page shows "No Connection" ! How do I "ping" on the command line?

are you connected via cavble or wireless to your router and have you set it to cut wireless between set times?
I am connected via Ethernet cable, but the WiFi is enabled and I am connected to it on my mobile when I am at home.
I also get frequent "Server mail.plus.net cannot be found" messages in Mozilla Thunderbird.  When that happens all the router lights are on and the router home page shows "Connected".  There is a button in Thunderbird for "Try Again" and clicking on that restores the connection, but it often takes several tries. I also often get "No Response" when collecting emails on my mobile.  Disconnecting are reconnecting to WiFi usually restores the connection.
I have another router connected to the TV downstairs. I use it occasionally to watch programmes on iPlayer but that too drops the line sometimes and it is a real hassle to get the programme back and get back to the point when the line dropped. It is so annoying that I avoid using it.
May I say that my gut feeling is that these faults are not at my end, but I don't know how to prove it.
Thank you for your response.
Alex
podman

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI hamilton36,
Have a look at our troubleshooting guide and if necessary click here to raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley