cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequent internet disconnects

JayDublyuh

Frequent internet disconnects

This is an issue which has been happening on and off for the past year now. There will be a spree of about a month and a half of perfectly fine broadband connectivity and then it will drop and continue to drop every 5 minutes to an hour, sometimes staying connected for longer if I'm lucky. There's no real pattern to the drops.

When the drops happen, the internet light on my TG582n will go off and the Broadband and Ethernet lights will blink as they normally do.

There are no electrical appliances that are switched on to prompt these disconnects. Occasionally it will happen in unison when the phone rings, though I think that is correlation rather than causation.

I can log into the router from my PC and press the Connect button which will usually regain full connectivity until it disconnects again.

I've changed my IP address which worked for all of 10 minutes, but it reset back to the IP I had prior to that when my connectivity dropped again.

I'm using a Netgear Powerline Wi-Fi adapter to bring the ethernet connection through from my TG582n to my PC in a separate room, but I don't think this is the source of the drops when I have had good connectivity for long periods in the past while using it.

I've also seen a lot of Firewall ICMP checks on my router logs today (hence why I tried to change my IP) coming from various places in the world. Would these cause connectivity to drop at all?

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Frequent internet disconnects

Hi Jay,

A warm welcome to the forums.

First let's clear away one misnomer in your description.  You cannot change the IP address "which matters" here.  The "external" IP address is assigned by PlusNet - either dynamically when synch is established - or (if asked for) you will have a static IP address which never changes.

Your description of issues rather sounds like an intermittent line issue.  Do you notice the problem more in poor weather than good weather?  Is there any noise on your phone line?

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Is the router connected to the master phone socket?

Which firmware version does the TG582n have?

Can you please post the full router stats?  See the link below if you do not know how to do this.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JayDublyuh

Hi Townman, thanks for your reply.

Ironically, we've had very good weather down South over the past couple of days. Sunshine and low winds.

I did a quiet line test both plugged into the Test Socket and also on the phone which I have upstairs, away from the test socket. Both were quiet.

The Master Socket has a divider plugged into it which leads to another socket upstairs where the router is connected, as shown in the pictures attached. The microfilters have also been swapped out today, to no avail.

My router's firmware is running 8.4.4.J

and router stats page:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:15:23
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1.050 / 14.335    
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 234,66 / 828,83    
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12,2 / 20,9    
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 12,4 / 25,0    
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5,7 / 6,1    
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----    
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / TSTC    
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 169 / 0    
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 34 / 0    
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0    
Loss of Link (Remote): -    
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1.102 / 33    
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 4 / 1.906    
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 8 / 2    
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 57 generateTasks()  

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you remove the extension cabling and just have the filter & router plugged in to the main socket, do you still get the same dropouts?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Jay,

Thank you for the photos - they are better than a thousand words. My initial reaction is that the D section wire used by the extension is far from ideal for ADSL operation.

You would be far better off replacing that extension with proper twisted pair phone cable, wired from the back of the master socket face plate to a standard secondary phone socket.

I cannot assert that the wire is the cause of your problem but it certainly is not helping.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.