cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flipping speed

Butti

Flipping speed

You should be able to find me from my previous post but my postcode is <snipped>
I am having problems with speed and the problem seems to be becoming more frequent.  I may not be able to respond to any answer you put up online as I can't get online at the moment due to this problem (I am sending from the library).
On the 12th,16th, 17th,18th, 19th and today the speed has been flipping between 1 MBPS and 65 MBPS.  On the 16th this was an issue between 16.55 and 17.46, on 17th between 23.54 and 00.58 and today from 09.30.
I am trying to submit coursework and do coursework at the moment so this is an absolute pain.
Can you have a look at this for me?
How soon can I leave my contract?
B
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  personal identification information removed as it isn't needed ]
11 REPLIES 11
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Flipping speed

n the 12th,16th, 17th,18th, 19th and today the speed has been flipping between 1 MBPS and 65 MBPS.

This sounds like a wireless connection as your broadband isn't provided at 65MBPS. Have you tried connecting to your router with an ethernet cable (we supplied one with the router) and testing the speed after this?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Butti

I can't connect via a cable as the router is on the middle floor of the house and the computer room is on the top floor.
B
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Nonetheless, it's the speed of the wireless connection between your computer and your router that keeps changing.  Either the signal is too weak where your wireless adaptor is located or you have some sort of interference with your wireless signal.
CX
Grafter

You could try disabling 802.11n, and forcing 802.11b/g. Or try a different wireless channel on the router.
Butti

Could I have that in simple english please.  I'm not IT illiterate but I do need explaining how I would do this.  Is there anyway I can boost the signal.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Butti,
Before you start going through changing settings, I've noticed that you have an older version of the firmware on the router. I can update this for you which may resolve any wireless issues you have. Let me know when this is convenient to do, as the router will go offline during the process.
Jojo Smiley
Butti

Tuesday 31, Wednesday 1 June, Thursday 2 June.  Working hours on any of these days would be fine.
Thanks,
B.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks Butti,
I'll do it for you tomorrow.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Butti,
That has completed now. Let me know how you get on.
Jojo Smiley
Butti

Well it was alright for one day and then I haven't had it since Monday.  When looking at the router the lights on wireless and broadband are flickering.  When on the computer the speed goes up to 65 MBPS and then down to 1, maybe up to 39, then 65 then 1.  It doesn't hold.
I either need you to sort this, clear instructions on how to sort this or a new internet provider.  I am pig sick.  This saga has been going on for months and months and months.  I get up in the morning with a list of jobs to apply for and I have no idea whether the signal is going to allow me to apply or whether I need to travel 35 miles to uni and set up base there or indeed whether I should give up and buy a laptop and sit in a cafe.
I need a job and this crap really isn't helping.
B
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Butti,
If you are using a PC then I assume you are using a wireless adapter? If so, I would suggest you look at troubleshooting that too. You could also use something like inSSIDer which can scan the wireless networks and help you identify the best channel to use. YOu could also use homeplugs or a long ethernet cable to directly wire to the router. I can understand how frustrating it can be but I very much doubt this is a router issue.
Jojo Smiley