cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixed speed 1 and2mbit DSL still got a future?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Fixed speed 1 and2mbit DSL still got a future?

Since I'm got an unwanted auto upgrade 2 weeks ago to Max after missing an email about it, I'm wondering if 1 and 2mbit fixed speed IPstream connections are to be phased out.  My concern is that Max simply isn't stable during peek hours for my phoneline and or exchange and I want to stay on 2mbit as I Use my connection mostly from 8pm - 2am.
So PN is BT or are you looking to phase out IPstream 1 and 2mbit connections anytime soon?
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
9 REPLIES 9
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Re: Fixed speed 1 and2mbit DSL still got a future?

hmm lack of responce makes me wonder now
pierre_pierre
Grafter

probably been to busy today, and JameseH has just gone on his Hols
MickKi
Grafter

Have you looked at sorting out your home wiring, trying a different ADSL filter/router and if all this fails raise a broadband fault?  If you can hold onto 2mbps fixed line speed you *should* be able to hold onto max also without dropouts.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Gus
So PN is BT or are you looking to phase out IPstream 1 and 2mbit connections anytime soon?

Not that I'm aware of. If you'd like me to move you back to a fixed product by the way then I'd be ahppy to do this for you?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Gus
Aspiring Pro

@ Bob I should be back on 2mbit tomorrow again after human error soured my mood.  I was back on 2mbit from 24th last month to this Tuesday but a CSA left a flag on my account and I got switched back again to being Maxed automatically.
Now waiting on another order to get me back.
This is the reason I asked, ok with the email I missed I could have stopped it happening but I hadn't checked that email account in a month or more.  So got me wondering if auto regrades are happening so as to get rid of 1 and 2mbit  or for those in the sticks on 0.5mbit to free up equipment/redundancy and have one area of support.
@ Mick yes everything is fine my end, guesing there's a phone line issue between my flat and the exchange as the cabling is all under ground here and Inverness BT aren't the best
MickKi
Grafter

Raising a broadband fault via PN (or directly with BT a telephone fault if you have audible noise on your phone) should eventually have BTw reterminating your line with new crimps.  Underground cables are often aluminium and the corrode when connected to copper.  On the other hand if e.g. you are moving soon and you can't be bothered having to raise the fault until it gets fixed (it may take more than one BT engineer's visit) going on fixed speed ADSL is probably worth it.
worm
Grafter

Based on the above am I right in thinking that if we go for the IPStream Max and the outcome isn't good - then there's no problem going back to the fixed rate setup?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

@worm yes, just raise a ticket and ask to be put back on Fixed speed 2mbit.  It takes on average 1 or 2 days to happen as it depends on BT doing the work.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Fixed rate speeds will be around for a while but we are working through the customers that are on fixed rate and regrading them to Max, we're doing around 2200 a week with an opt out for those that don't want regrading (after filtering out those that can't get at least 3.5Mbps, those that opted out in the past and those that had previously been on Max). Max is far more stable than it was 2 years ago, the fault rates are low, it costs us less to have a customer on max than fixed rate and with the move to 21CN coming up not too far in the future for some it makes sense to have as many customers on Max as possible.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology