Did you mean: 

Fixed ip address changed!

markv
Rising Star

Fixed ip address changed!

I registered for a fixed ip and was given an address xxx.yyy.zzz.95
Reconfigured my router and reconnected.
Nothing happening at all.
After a lot of rebooting, waiting, trying again and getting nowhere, I logged in to plus.net from a 3G mobile device and queried my static ip.
It was xxx.yyy.xxx.97
Not...95 as I had been notified.
I can absolutely assure you I wrote it down correctly because I know how vital it is.
Could there be a glitch in the system where an address is nominally assigned, but after perhaps payment is confirmed, that has already been given to someone else and a different one assigned? There was no delay in my order. I requested, and paid within a minute.
The fact that mine changed by just 2 digits would tend to suggest something like that.
Just trying to identify a bug, not having a moan. 5 quid for a static ip is a bargain and I'm very happy to have one, even if it isn't the one I thought I had...!
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Fixed ip address changed!

Even with a static IP address your router should still be configured the same as for a dynamic IP (DHCP on WAN), the Plusnet servers will (should, at least) always assign the same IP on your connection.
From the Static IP link in the member centre (under 'connection settings')
Additional Information
You don't need to alter any connection settings to use your static IP, we'll assign the same address to your connection each time you connect. For more information see our IP address support page.

The advantage of doing it this way is, even if the IP address is 'wrong', you'll still get one. Wink
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
markv
Rising Star

Sorry, I didn't explain properly.
When I requested the Static IP add-on, I got a automatic response saying I had been assigned x.y.z.95
That was incorrect because I later discovered I had been assigned x.y.z.97
Not a big deal but it appears there is a bug in the code that services the request for a static IP. Perhaps there were several people requesting at the same time.
I've got a static IP and it's all fine. Just notifying you that it told me I had one address but actually gave me a different one.
I understand that I didn't need to make any changes on my router, but that's not really the point.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

I'm certainly not aware of any such issues but I'm inclined to side with your reasoning.
How was the automatic response sent? Email or an on screen notification?
Was this given to you before payment was taken?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵