cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First thoughts on the "new" Technicolor TG589vn v3

Stantheman
Dabbler

Re: First thoughts on the "new" Technicolor TG589vn v3

Overall I find this combined unit much tidier, having dispensed with the BT OR modem. Having said that I might look at connecting my Asus dual band router configured as a WAN bypass and using it as a dual band wifi access point.
My only problem with the 589 was setting the gateway GUI access password. It was supplied with default administrator user and no password (blank).I opened the toolbox menu and entered and saved a new password. Subsequent attempts to access  the GUI failed, pw not recognised!. I eventually carried out a hard reset to factory defaults, carried out another setup and reentered the pw. This time it worked. I believe Hairy Biker  had similar access problems.
I believe the 589 to be a vast improvement over the BT modem / 582 setup. If only it was dual band!
shalom2010
Grafter

Stantheman - Can I ask you a basic question about it? When you set it up, do you just plug in your phone line and then connect to your PC via ethernet, ie there's no WAN connection to connect to. (Assuming you want a wired connection).
The reason I ask I currently use a SamKnows box, so the configuration is OR Modem to 582n via Wan, 582n to SamKnows router via an ethernet port then SamKnows router to PC via ethernet. How would the 689 works in this scenario?
Thanks
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

exactly the same but without the openreach modem. Straight from DSL port on master socket to the 589 then ethernet to Samknows box then to PC
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
shalom2010
Grafter

Thanks - sounds great. Love to get a 589, I've asked to be added onto the waiting list. Maybe a firmware upgrade will in the future resolve a few of the issues mentioned in this thread.
Stantheman
Dabbler

I haven't got around to adding my Asus router yet, but will connect up just as NorthEasterner described, remembering to connect to a lan ethernet port on the second router, not the wan port. On the second router I beleive you should disable DHCP and set its lan ip address to fall within the same network as the Technicolor is giving out. Also ensure you avoid doubling up with a ip address already in use.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's a superlative-laden 589vnv3 pdf datasheet available from Technicolor's media library. Allegedly the 589vnv3 is the "Ultimate in Ultra Broadband" and "future-proof". I also saw that there's a datasheet for the 588, which looks much the same as the 582n, but contains a VDSL2 modem.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"VDSL2 combined with Gigabit Ethernet enables extremely high bandwidth" according to the product sheet.  Shame it's only got 10/100 LAN ports then!
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well it has been running for a week. And I haven't chucked it out the window yet. So in that much better than the 582  Wink
No issues, other than the ones already mentioned, mostly to do with the web pages and lack of easy advanced setup, the multiple login requests etc.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Having a "new" laptop to play with I am testing the wifi.
Currently transferring files at a rate of 5.6MB/s on the ground level, 1 room below the router. So not bad, there is also the NowTV streaming radio in the bedroom at the same time. That's the only wifi devices active.