Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First post - Question on BB sped management

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: First post - Question on BB sped management

There are still a fair number of errored seconds, and turning on interleaving might reduce those. However this would affect gaming by increasing your ping. Basically it's your call.
David
Maxx
Dabbler

Downstream Upstream 
SNR Margin 14.3 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 58.4 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 5 0 
Loss of Signal 0 0 
Loss of Frame 0 0 
CRC Errors 5 0 
Data Rate 1824 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST 
Maxx
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
There are still a fair number of errored seconds, and turning on interleaving might reduce those. However this would affect gaming by increasing your ping. Basically it's your call.

A liitle out of my depth on now, so do apologies for any 'stoopid' q's.
If interleving is turned back on and errored seconds (which not sure what these are, other than an eror = poor) is reduced, my connection would be better? but my ping increase.  Whats your opinion?  I do send 50% of the time gaming on line with the 360 but in it better to tade ping for connection?
Thanks
Maxx
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Errored Seconds are seconds on the real time clock in which one or more transmission errors occurred that needed re-transmission to correct them. The odd errored second is not a problem, it is the frequency of these that matters. None of the posts mention router uptime, but I assumed from the two stats tables on the previous page the rate was about 225 Errored Seconds per day, and the loss of signal count shows a disconnection had occurred at some point. I'm much closer to the exchange then you but for what its worth I have zero Errored Seconds and no disconnections over 7 days; I have interleaving on, and CRC errors are recorded so I assume they have all been corrected. The increased latency that goes with interleaving is not a problem for me.
So what should you do?
Unless your gaming experience (and browsing in general) is affected by frequent "freezes" or long delays in response I'd be inclined to leave things as they are. If you can leave your router connected for a few days a comparison with the stats you quoted two posts ago could be helpful (also mention uptime, I assume the referenced one was shortly after a restart).
David
David
Maxx
Dabbler

David, thanks for your help. I've not noted any issues when browsing or gaming.
Since I fitted the new master plug, my router is left on, and has been left on inbetween all stas posted. Todays stats (below)
SNR Margin 15.0 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 56.4 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 329 92 
Loss of Signal 1 1 
Loss of Frame 0 0 
CRC Errors 99 12 
Data Rate 1600 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST 

attenuation seems a little better,I am going to leave things as they are, and maybe in the distant future BT will build an exchange next to my house for the ever expanding village population!
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Those stats show there has been 1 disconnection (loss of signal) in the past 24 hours and the connection was reestablished at a sync speed of 1600kbps. This will have reduced your IP Profile (idealised download speed) from 1500 to 1250kbps. Actual download speed (e.g. on mybroadbandspeed) will probably be around 900kbps.
You should find the 1250kbps value is mirrored on Plusnet's High-speed Broadband page in the Member Centre; I suggest checking this, these intermediate (750, 1250, 1750) values were not always set correctly earlier this year.
David
David
Maxx
Dabbler

Todays results,
PN BB speed test
Today 09:33 1022 kbps (128kB/s) 381 kbps (47.6kB/s)
Your High-speed Broadband Service
Your current broadband speed is 1000 Kbps

SNR Margin 14.1 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 57.3 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 104 6 
Loss of Signal 0 0 
Loss of Frame 0 0 
CRC Errors 142 7 
Data Rate 1696 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST 
Looks like no erors, which has resulted in an increase data rate-hence connection is +50-80 kbs than normal?
Thanks
Maxx
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Since the Loss of Signal count has gone back to zero and the upstream CRC count reduced it would appear the router has been physically powered off. When turned on again sync was at a higher speed of 1696kbps.
The High-speed Broadband setting should be 1250kbps for that sync speed, but only if the IP Profile shown by the BT Performance Tester (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) is 1250kbps. Plusnet staff will need to check the value reported in delta reports they receive from BTw.
David
David
Maxx
Dabbler

Since the Loss of Signal count has gone back to zero and the upstream CRC count reduced it would appear the router has been physically powered off. When turned on again sync was at a higher speed of 1696kbps.
The High-speed Broadband setting should be 1250kbps for that sync speed, but only if the IP Profile shown by the BT Performance Tester (http://www.speedtester.bt.com) is 1250kbps. Plusnet staff will need to check the value reported in delta reports they receive from BTw.
David

Yes, her in doors had re-started it!
I can't seem to 'log' myself onto the speed test url to complete the test,it starts but I can't find anywhere to register myself to enable it tocomplete
SNR Margin 14.6 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 57.3 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 391 114 
Loss of Signal 0 0 
Loss of Frame 0 0 
CRC Errors 508 122 
Data Rate 1696 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The BT Performance Tester requires the Java Run Time Environment to be installed but there is no registration involved.
The first page requires your phone number to be entered (no spaces) then the second your broadband username (username@plusdsl.net if you have a Plusnet account). The tester is very temperamental but worked for me earlier using IE7 on XP Home SP3.
The stats show no disconnections since yesterday; the error trend seems consistent with previous experience.
David
David
pierre_pierre
Grafter

a subsidiary question  BT speed tester went belly up a couple of weeks ago, some people have got it back, I havnt.  I have two system
Linux on a Asus Eeepc - cant change it, java fault
XP on two laptops.  Have cleared cache reinstalled java, cleared old copies of java still not working.  Now what?
Not usually a problem for me normally works every time.
Maxx
Dabbler

The BT Performance Tester requires the Java Run Time Environment to be installed but there is no registration involved.
The first page requires your phone number to be entered (no spaces) then the second your broadband username (username@plusdsl.net if you have a Plusnet account). The tester is very temperamental but worked for me earlier using IE7 on XP Home SP3.
The stats show no disconnections since yesterday; the error trend seems consistent with previous experience.
David

Erm entered my username in and it worked..... Roll_eyes
Any way, resluts below;

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 1760 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 889 kbps
If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.
If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.
Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester
So I think I need to ask PN to look into this?Huh
many thanks
Maxx

spraxyt
Resting Legend

That BT test confirms the setting under High-speed Broadband should be 1250kbps, does it still say 1000kbps?
Since your downstream sync speed is now 1760kbps I assume your router has been restarted again. If you remain connected at that speed for 3-5 days your IP Profile will increase to 1500kbps. However if a subsequent reconnection occurs at 1696kbps or under the IP Profile will drop again.
Unfortunately such changes would make it pointless to manually set the High-speed Broadband value so I suggest you let the automatic system take its course.
David
David
Maxx
Dabbler

Yes it still shows my BB at 1000 kps.
My router stats, with abit more info, I would of thought the elasped time was since its last re-boot? (I don't  belive that we have re booted,however she is outso I can't ask and be 100% sure) as watching this it increase in X2 seconds.
Not sure about the startup attempts 2?andthe loss of connection1
Showtime Firmware Version: 3.21
Line State: SHOWTIME
Modulation: G.dmt
Annex Mode: ANNEX_A
Startup Attempts: 2
Max Tx Power: -38 dBm/Hz 
CO Vendor: TEXAS_INSTRUMENTS
Elaspsed Time: 2 days 23 hours 15 minutes 12 seconds

Downstream Upstream 
SNR Margin 12.9 18.0 dB
Line Attenuation 58.1 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 598 169 
Loss of Signal 1 1 
Loss of Frame 0 0 
CRC Errors 136 92 
Data Rate 1760 448 kbps
Latency FAST FAST 
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think you are correct, the increase in sync speed most likely resulted when sync was reestablished after the connection dropped (loss of signal), i.e. not through a deliberate restart.
Sorry I'm not sure what the router regards as startup attempts; needing more than one seems odd, but I wouldn't have expected there to be any connection between that number and the loss of signal count. However if you suffer another loss of signal and the startup attempts count increases to 3 it would imply there is.
These "loss of signal" occurrences imply your line is subject to periodic bursts of noise, but it could be difficult to locate the source of these. Routerstats would help with monitoring if your router make/model/version is one that is supported.
David
David