Did you mean: 

First days internet unbearably slow

FIXED
Msdeeks87
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

First days internet unbearably slow

Hi, 

Ive had broadband set up for a few days now, and understand there is a 10 day settling in period. However, I'm experiencing speeds of 0.8-1.8mbps. Minimum guaranteed is 0.8, with expected speeds of 3.5-6mbps. Did anyone else see improvement after ten days? It doesn't seem to fluctuate between peak and off peak times, just consistently low. 5-6mbps would be fine given my usage and needs, but my average of 1.5 is feeling somewhat unusable at the moment, with extremely slow loading times even on basic sites. Would be good to know if it improves or if theres anything that I can do.

19 REPLIES 19
Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Re: First days internet unbearably slow

Currently at 0.6mbps 😂

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@Msdeeks87 

Welcome to the forum.

Plusnet will probably tell you to leave it for 10 days but this is slow.

The first thing to say is try to keep it connected as switching it off can be interpreted as a line drop and stop the DLM from speeding things up.

Are you testing your speed over a wired Ethernet cabled connection between the router and a computer? This is the only relevant test when checking service speed. Wireless issues are a totally different problem.

Have you checked that you have a quiet telephone line? To do this ring 17070 from a wired telephone and select Option 2. If you can hear background noise then this is probably the problem

If you have line noise or if you want to try a single disconnection then there is a test you can do. First remove the front off the BT Master socket, you may need to remove two screws. In behind you will find the Test socket. This removes any internal extension cables from your phone line. Plug your wired phone in here and repeat the quiet line test. If there is any noise now report a phone, not broadband fault. If the noise goes away then the problem is either with your faceplate or internal extension cabling, if you have any.

Next plug your filter in to the Test socket and your router in to the filter. Using an Ethernet cable between the router and a computer repeat the speed test. If it is still low then I would try to leave it in this arrangement, apart from reconnecting a phone to the filter, until the 10 days are up, at which point you can raise it again with Plusnet if necessary.

If plugging in to the Test socket speeds things up then come back for further advice.

Do let us know how you get on anyway.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

In a situation such as this, sight of your (full) router stats would be very useful.  Please redact your account name when posting.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Thanks both,

I'm currently running tests via mobile wifi; I have neither a laptop or phone to test with but I will borrow them Wednesday to try the tests you've suggested. I'll keep you posted. Many thanks for your help.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Msdeeks87, sorry to hear you're having broadband issues. I have run tests on your line and we've detected a external fault that more than likely will be the thing causing the issues with your broadband service. I have raised the fault up with our suppliers who have given us the standard 2 working day turn around time and estimated response time of 19/12/2019 by 23:59. Keeping in mind this is the very latest a engineer would be out to investigate the issue and it could be resolved sooner. I've raised a fault ticket on your account and placed it on hold until the morning of 20/12/2019 so our faults team can check to see if your issue has been resolved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Hi Beyhive,

Thanks for getting back to me. Hopefully engineer will resolve the issue, but I'm sure you'll keep me posted.

I'll still run my tests tomorrow with laptop and check phone line etc to ensure none of those are culprits.

Many thanks.
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

You're more than welcome @Msdeeks87,

Let us know if nothing changes by 20th and we will look for an update for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Msdeeks87
Dabbler

*EDIT*
Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Hi,

So BT have done what they needed to do but have put a note through my letter box saying they need access to my property to finish the work/finalise checks. Presumably I wont be charged for this if they enter my property to do their checks? Bit tight trying to establish a time for them to visit over the next couple of weeks 😅 Should I contact the number from the plusnet email? Question #197148141.

Many thanks again.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @Msdeeks87,

I can see you decided to call into our contact centre and get that sorted! Details surrounding the call & the appointment booked in can be found here.

Let us let us know how you get on,

Thanks.

Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Hi, thanks for your response.

The engineer visit was a follow up completion from the initial visit logged by PlusNet due to slow internet and faulty line with an OpenReach site. This was sorted and the engineer wanted to complete the visit by checking the internals of my property.

Things seem fine although he has arranged to have a new router ordered as the router sent to myself is of a make that apparently presents continued problems with wifi signals. I have had confirmation of postage of this router; really appreciate the swift response to get this sorted, especially considering it's all been addressed in under the few weeks that I've joined plusnet.

Can I check that as the router has known connectivity issues and that one has been ordered by the engineer, that I wont be charged for this visit?

Many thanks for you time 👍🏼

Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Fix
Hi,

Spoke to customer care team and because the router is still under warranty I wont be charged for the engineer visit. Good news at christmas!

Hopefully the new router speeds things up a bit, although customer service has been spot on throughout and I'll be more than happy to stay with expected speeds between 2.5-3.

Thanks for all your help and have a wonderful christmas all!
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Msdeeks87

I'm pleased that this got sorted for you - I can see that the router info has been confirmed here.

If there's anything else you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Best wishes

Dave

Msdeeks87
Dabbler

Hello,

Despite speaking to a colleague over the phone around this time to clarify that I would not be charged for this visit (he explained that it was still within warranty as mentioned above), I have in fact received an email this afternoon indicating that I would be charged.

I have spoken to a colleague this afternoon who is looking into the call I had with the colleague. I'm very surprised that after two months and numerous reassurances from the PlusNet team, that I've been charged. The colleague I spoke to back in Dec said that if a charge was to come through to me, I was to contact customer care to have the charge reversed.

Can this please be looked into and rectified.

Many thanks.