Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally bit the bullet

OshB5
Grafter

Finally bit the bullet

Hi All
Well I have finally bit the bullet and ordered FTTC as the fastest I could get on ADSL was 4.2Mbs which was not fast enough to be able to run any of the smart TV functions other than face book But none of the streaming services even the normal catchup TV was for ever buffering, So like I have said Iv gone ofr the 40 Mbs unlimited and they have said I should get to within a couple of Mbs close to the 40? We will see when it happens and go from there.
iv been sent out a new router but I want to use my Asus DSL-N55U Its just going to be working out what I have to change to make it work with the new Modem that will be fitted.
Is there anything I need to look out for or keep a eye on at all?
Iv been with Force9/Plusnet over 14 years now even since the days of the 2409bps phone modems the ones with the rubber sockets that you slipped the handset of the phone into LOL  and to date never had a bad service. I just hope it continues Wink
Thanks Osh
6 REPLIES 6
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Finally bit the bullet

the Asus you have isn't going to work it's for ADSL only it doesn't have a WAN port which is required for the modem to work with the router. 
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

If you decide to upgrade to a fibre router (other than the poor 1 supplied by PN) I use the Asus RT-N56U & find it to be ideal Smiley
OshB5
Grafter

Quote from: Terranova667
the Asus you have isn't going to work it's for ADSL only it doesn't have a WAN port which is required for the modem to work with the router.   

Apparently this router has Duel Wan configuration that is switchable  And according to a couple of others on here that have messaged me there is only two settings to change for it to rork fine.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Ok my bad, seems they have done what Plusnet have done with their Router and changed one of the LAN ports to a WAN port via firmware good to know. 
OshB5
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for confirming that for me Jim and posting the link. I have it now So I can change it in a weeks time as they are booked for Next Tuesday?
Iv just been given a old Fiber BT Modem and a Home hub from some friends over the road as They have had Virgin Fitted today,,
Whar would happen if I plugged in the BT Fiber modem at the moment?  Or is it that I need a specific Socket and faceplate as well as being switched on by the engineer at the green BT Box?
Also do you think that I should get close to the 40Mbs d/l speed that package is quotes? Thanks
Regs Andy