cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre upload speed

garywood84
Rising Star

Fibre upload speed

Fibre is now available in my region and I'm ready to uprade.  I've just requested my MAC code to move away from PlusNet, because I need 10Mb upload speed, and PlusNet isn't yet able to provide this for all customers. I'm really sorry to leave PlusNet as in every other respect, the service has been great and meets my needs. The MAC code is going to take 4 days to be ready on my account, according to Customer Options, so I'm posting in the meantime in the hope that someone from PlusNet might have an idea of if/when faster uploads will be available.  I know from a previous post from the middle of last year that it was being looked at, and would really appreciate an update and an opportunity to remain a PlusNet customer.
Thanks,
Gary
26 REPLIES 26
reddev87
Grafter

Re: Fibre upload speed

Read the thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101907.0.html
It's almost ready to be launched for an extra £2 a month as far as I can tell, I've been waiting on this for ages myself.
StuartUK35
Grafter

So £21.49 for Fibre with 120gb allowance (but free overnight), or £16.49 for 40gb allowance (free overnight)
+ £5 to give you the actual 'Fibre' speed as opposed to a cap or 5mb or 2mb when your fibre should be over 30mb +
+ £2 for upload speed that makes it worth talking about
Total = £23.49 or £28.49
Fair enough, i cant complain Smiley Smiley Smiley 
would be happy to cough up £23.49pm, so hurry up PN, i want faster upload speeds, although i dont actually need it, i just want it!  Crazy
garywood84
Rising Star

Thanks for this.
Quote from: reddev87
It's almost ready to be launched for an extra £2 a month as far as I can tell, I've been waiting on this for ages myself.

The thing is, I know people have been waiting ages, and it's been "coming very soon" for a long time.  I don't want to sign up now for 18 months if tomorrow never comes as far as this upgrade is concerned.  I really hope that PlusNet will have some positive news before my MAC is ready...
garywood84
Rising Star

PlusNet - any comments on this, please?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

any comments on this, please?

We've not even begun to trial 10mb upstream for fibre I'm afraid so I can't add much further to that. Without wanting to sound negative If things had progressed to or beyond that stage I might be able to tell you more about time scales etc.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
cja
Grafter

Ok,
I'm confused on the FTTP packages announcement it said they were based on the FTTC and there was £2 option for 10 Mbps  on the Extra package.  I commented on that said not on FTTC yet can you clarify... the FTTP is due 6th Feb.
In this thread similar question http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101907.0.html, note reply from Jo. Then in this thread we have http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,101907.0.html  which says something a little different. And there is another one I've seen which says Bob Pullen is doing a trial provision ?
We seem to be getting 3 different variations on 10Mbps upload:
- Its here 6th Feb
- Its been trialled, here real soon.
- Its not in sight yet
Could someone please tell us what is happening and ideally get the different reps and moderators on the same page.
Could someone also look at the main PlusNet for choosing Fibre, no where can I see a definitive description of what I get in clear simple terms, notably I can't see anywhere it says its limited 2Mbps upload.  Compared the PlusNet 3 years ago the product descriptions are as clear as mud, it really would be helpful to see a nice boring list of what you get and don't get.

Chris
cja
garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: cja
Ok, ... I'm confused

You and me both!  As you say, different PlusNet staff seem to be saying different things on this.  I'm also puzzled by Adam's mention of testing, because as I understood it the delay on this was now just because PlusNet was implementing internal systems to bill customers for the upgraded service.  It should need trialling again because those people who took part in the original FTTC trial were provisioned at 10Mbps and have retained it!  That's one of the things that's so frustrating about this situation.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

different PlusNet staff seem to be saying different things on thi

Who's said what in that case? Some discussion did go around the desk this morning as I wanted to make sure we're all singing from the same hymn sheet re this.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

We seem to be getting 3 different variations on 10Mbps upload:
- Its here 6th Feb
- Its been trialled, here real soon.
- Its not in sight yet

To clear this up (hopefully) ...
The £2 surcharge for 10Mbps upload as mentioned in Dave's blog post here is specific to FTTP and *not* FTTC.
The 10Mbps upload option for FTTC customers is something we promised a long time ago, and whilst it's been built, the billing aspect hasn't been tested in a live environment and neither have all of the internal processes been finalised. There isn't a trial as such, however the billing aspect is currently being tested on the live platform.
Please be mindful that there is some debate about whether or not 10Mbps upload would be required at all should a 80/20 service become commercially available in the not too distant future ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

garywood84
Rising Star

Quote from: Bob
There isn't a trial as such, however the billing aspect is currently being tested on the live platform.

Thanks for this, Bob.  Is there any way that I could take part in this trial (I know you were looking for guinea pigs a few days ago!) please?  As I've said several times in this forum, I really don't want to have to leave PlusNet, but I want to sign up for fibre this week, and need the 10Mb upload speed.
cja
Grafter

Bob,
The problem stems from Dave's post statement "This product is the same as our FTTC Extra Fibre product only with FTTP." ... and then goes on to say "For an additional £2 per month you can choose to increase just the upload speed to 10Mbps on the two 40Mbps options."  He also goes onto post on the FTTC trial of 80/20.  So Bob I am going to disagree his post is specific to FTTP, because there are 6 specific mentions of FTTC on that post, perhaps it would have been better to have done separate posts ?
You said:
"Please be mindful that there is some debate about whether or not 10Mbps upload would be required at all should a 80/20 service become commercially available in the not too distant future"
If Dave's first sentence is true then surely you have to add the 10Mbps to the FTTC ... note Dave said SAME not similar. 
On the question of 2 Mb, 10 Mb and 20 Mb for me:
- 2Mb doesn't work for me.
- 10Mb is fine.
- 20Mb well, how much more would it be and what percentage of 20Mb would I see on my line.
I think a lot of customers won't want to pay extra for 20Mb, unless its no real price difference than 10Mb or if you are only going to get 12Mb on your line, why pay for the 20 option ?
2Mb to 10Mb x5 benefit, 10Mb to 20Mb x2 benefit.... I'd argue there is there little case for 20Mb upload unless there is next to no price difference with 10Mb upload.
The difficult here is those of us who want 10Mb seem to be a minority, but this is because a lot of people who would consider Plusnet won't even bother talking to you because you don't offer 10Mb and I can say I've see a lot discussion in my own company where your name comes up and your are eliminated because of the lack of 10Mb.
1. Can we actually have a commitment to an implementation ?
2. Can we have a date for that implementation ?
If you can do 1. you might stop a few MAC code requests, if you can do 2 so much the better.
Chris
CJA
rmharrison
Dabbler

If you can do 1. you might stop a few MAC code requests, if you can do 2 so much the better.

I to would like a date of this speed Increse I used the BT line tester to see what was available to me as when I tried to do so on the plus net site it told me I already had a plus net connection and diverted me to the upgrade page.
BT said I was able to get an averige of 6.5mb upload which I thought great so I went ahead and upgraded to via plus net not knowing there was a cap.
I will live with the 2mb's but if there isn't an upgrade to remove the cap at some point then I will probaly leave plus net even tho I am some what a legacy with most of my family with plus net and all have recommended me to come here.
Regards
Rich
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

The problem stems from Dave's post statement "This product is the same as our FTTC Extra Fibre product only with FTTP." ...

I can see where the confusion has stemmed from. I'll edit the blog to make it clearer at some point if I get the time ...
... and then goes on to say "For an additional £2 per month you can choose to increase just the upload speed to 10Mbps on the two 40Mbps options."

And the two options he refers to are both FTTP specific. The blog isn't entirely specific to FTTP but the £2/mnth increased upload bit is.
You said:
"Please be mindful that there is some debate about whether or not 10Mbps upload would be required at all should a 80/20 service become commercially available in the not too distant future"
If Dave's first sentence is true then surely you have to add the 10Mbps to the FTTC ... note Dave said SAME not similar.

The wording could have been better (and whilst we almost certainly will) I don't think we're at any obligation to offer the service.
On the question of 2 Mb, 10 Mb and 20 Mb for me:
- 2Mb doesn't work for me.
- 10Mb is fine.
- 20Mb well, how much more would it be and what percentage of 20Mb would I see on my line.
I think a lot of customers won't want to pay extra for 20Mb, unless its no real price difference than 10Mb or if you are only going to get 12Mb on your line, why pay for the 20 option ?

Can't really answer these questions at present. It would all be speculative ahead of any official announcement.

There are a few things I need to sign off before I'd be comfortable committing to this. It's *very* likely that it'll be available to the masses though. Please be aware that it's going to be several weeks before I'm comfortable the billing aspect is working as designed.

No, sorry. I'd like to think it will be at some point over the coming month though.
Those wanting increased upload may want to hang fire to see what (if anything) we do commercially with 80/20 to be honest. The 10Mbps upload thing I've been looking at is completely separate to any commercial plans we may have for fibre in the future.
Quote from: garywood84
Quote from: Bob
There isn't a trial as such, however the billing aspect is currently being tested on the live platform.

Thanks for this, Bob.  Is there any way that I could take part in this trial (I know you were looking for guinea pigs a few days ago!) please?

There *isn't* a trial and if I'm honest I haven't the time to orchestrate one either. If the billing aspect for the 10Mbps FTTC upload works on the handful of accounts it's enabled on, then the ability to uncap upload will almost certainly be opened up to the masses.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

cja
Grafter

Ok
Bob I see you've corrected the other thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102276.0.html.  Thanks.
1. From my earlier post "Could someone also look at the main PlusNet site for choosing Fibre, no where can I see a definitive description of what I get in clear simple terms, notably I can't see anywhere it says its limited 2Mbps upload."  I really do think the advertising on the main site is much less clear than it was when I joined 7 years ago about what a product contains.  There have already been a couple of examples in the forums, where those taking the new FTTC products didn't realise about the 2Mb limit.  You really do need have something on the main site which is crystal clear about what each product does.  The comment in this post about wanting 6.5Mb illustrates the point (and there have been other cases in the forums).
(BTW - your rmharrison your are not capped you are on the 2Mbps product from BT Openreach... which should have been clear when you signed up, if it wasn't I would suggest you take this up with the Plusnet)
2. Innovation.  Plusnet used to be a leader, it also used to listen a bit more closely to what customers wanted.  The customer service is still good, the product fairly pricest, not the cheapest but certainly a keen price.  If you get some of your innovation back it would be good.  I know on trials you are excellent, but there is too much of a lag between trial and product and key things seem not to make into the product.  Its cost you money, I know just looking at the fact you are no longer recommend by colleagues in my own employer is enough to show that. 
You need to get back the pre-BT strengths, well retaining BTs advantages.
CJA
Chris