cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds within the first 10 days

lorisarvendu
Grafter

Fibre speeds within the first 10 days

What sort of speeds should I expect to see upon activation?  How will these change over time?  Can anyone advise me from their own experience with fibre?
I've checked speed tests each day, to see what's happening.  So far, after 2 days, my up speed is holding more or less steady at 9Mb/s.  More than I was used to on ADSL, but much less than the theoretical maximum of 36.
My ADSL speeds were 3Mb/s at best, 2Mb/s mostly, as I am a long way from the exchange.  However distance from the Exchange is probably less of an issue now than distance from the cabinet (and I have no idea where that is).
Is the current 9Mb/s any indicator of my eventual speed, or is it all still up for grabs? 
Dave
A tortoise? What's that?
You know what a turtle is? Same thing.
5 REPLIES 5
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Fibre speeds within the first 10 days

Hi lorisarvendu,
Are the speed tests done wired or wireless? What operating system do you have on your computer? According to your estimate it should be more than 9Mbps
Jojo Smiley
lorisarvendu
Grafter

Wired.  Windows XP, but I can try it with Linux.  Not directly to the router, but via a Homeplug link currently running at 56Mbs.
http://www.lorisarvendu.force9.co.uk/speeds1.jpg

Edited to remove it as an embedded link.
A tortoise? What's that?
StuartUK35
Grafter

think you need to plug directly into your router and get your speed.....
and then back to your homeplug...
and then spend a few quidk buying the 200mb plugs....
If for instance, your on Wireless G (54mb), means your connection rate is around 9 to 13mb in terms of the most stable.... Transfer rate would be 900kb to 1.28mb per sec.....
So if the homeplug is a crap one, you might get the same as how the wireless G works, or you got crazy power going through your house!  Crazy
lorisarvendu
Grafter

I figured that since the reported speed of my Homeplug network (56Mb/s) was theoretically greater than my broadband speed (32Mb/s) that I wouldn't get a bottleneck.
That obviously isn't the case.  Plugging a laptop directly into the router gets me round 25Mb/s, while going back to the other side of the Homeplugs drops me down to 9 or 10Mb/s!
Yes StuartUK35, time to spend a few quid buying some 200Mb Homeplugs!  4 and a wireless in fact!
At least I can flog the old 85's off for a few pennies...
A tortoise? What's that?
StuartUK35
Grafter

dibs on a pair of your plugs then, as i got an issue.....
I too have Fibre...... and pay for the PRO option to make it 'Fibre'......
But the PS3 which the wife is watching eastenders on via Iplayer is connecting to the router through wireless....
Am guessing the PS3 (Slim) carries a Wireless G card........  When doing a connection test, the PS3 reports 15mb down and 1.6mb up....... however, the buffer sign comes up every 15 seconds, very annoying!  So process of elimination, need to see if its the wireless playing up on the PS3, or the 'PRO' giving me the opposite !  Crazy