cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speeds seem to be getting slower

Monkey

Fibre speeds seem to be getting slower

Hi there,
I signed up for a 76mbps fibre package as I need fast speeds for work. When the line was installed, I could only get around 34mbps which was disappointing. It now seems to have slowed down even further though, and I am lucky if I can get 25-26mbps.
Is there anything that can be done to boost this back to 34 again (or beyond)?
I am thinking I might as well switch to a cheaper package, there is no point paying for 76mbps if I can't even get the 38mbps.
But what about the new vectoring technology I've read about, is that actually coming soon in practice and would it allow me to actually use the 76mbps I'm paying for?
Is it possible to get billed for a 38mbit package if the 76mbit can't be delivered and then change back to 76mbit as and when it can?
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Fibre speeds seem to be getting slower

Hi Monkey,
I’ve done a few checks on your line, as well as the estimate for your phone number. Unfortunately, the speeds you are getting seem about right for your line characteristics.
Even with an engineer visit, I very much doubt that you’d get the speeds increased back to 34Mbit+.
Under the circumstances, I would advise changing to the upto 40Mbit package. If you could do this on the portal (login, Product Change) we’ll arrange this on your next billing date. If you have any problems, let me know and I’ll schedule the change for you.
When/If vectoring becomes available for you, I’m sure we will let you know. Should this be possible in the future, we can re-upgrade your account back to the 80/20 service.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
gofaster
Rising Star

Quote from: plusnettony
I would advise changing to the upto 40Mbit package. If you could do this on the portal (login, Product Change)

Hi Tony, have you ever actually tried doing that from an FTTC account?
When I try it I get offered NO other products. It just lists my existing product.
Please don't advise customers to do impossible things.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Hi,
Apologies, it appears that this isn't possible on the account I've just tried this on.
If you could please raise a ticket on your account and let me know the ticket number, I'll get this sorted for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
Monkey

@plusnettony
Thanks, I have logged a ticket #89873056
Really hope we'll have vectoring soon.
Monkey

Awesome. After waiting several days for a reply, someone just closed down the ticket with the same response already discussed and ruled out in this thread (even though I linked the thread).
They also stated that I would need to take out a new 18 month contract to downgrade - which I think is crazy since I've already been overpaying for months because the service I wanted couldn't be delivered and all I'm asking for is not to be overcharged for the rest. It's not possible to downgrade via the client panel even if I wanted to.
If the only option is to take out a new contract I guess I may as well just move to another provider, with all the introductory offers and cashback deals it would work out cheaper to switch.
*headdesk*  Cry