cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed

tjd
Grafter

Fibre speed

Hi does anyone know if fibre speed increases after install or if that's the set rate you get?
Stuck at 36Mb down 9 up, better than our ADSL but thought it would be more considering how close to the exchange we are.
9 REPLIES 9
mcintoshuk
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Fibre speed

It's the distance to the street cabinet that really matters with FTTC, not the distance to the exchange.  But you don't say if you're on the Value (40/10) or Extra (80/20) service - from your question I assume you're on Extra, as 36/9 would be the upper end of what you'd expect to see on the value service.
tjd
Grafter

On the extra package, the download speed was stuck at around 5.5-6Mb after install and upload was on 9Mb, got it nudged by a plusnet staff member a few days after install, then it went to like 35 / 36.. Stuck around there with no increases ever since and the router / modem have been left on non-stop except 1 restart to see if it would refresh speed. (Maybe he set it to value not extra speeds)
*Not complaining with what I'm getting, no problems as of yet -  but if it could get an increase then why not ask Smiley
mushy
Grafter

When doing speed tests what it your estimated speed that you should be getting or rating given on your profile ?
mcintoshuk
Rising Star

I guess one other question would be to ask if you're connecting to the router wirelessly?  If so, that will in effect "cap" the speeds you see.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
It would be worth trying via a wired connection, also if it's still the same then try a PPPoE connection that means connecting directly to the modem(bypassing the router), once you have sdone that you would need to do the following steps.
Windows
Go to the Control Panel then Network Connections
Click Create a new connection
Choose Connect to the Internet
Select Set up my Connection Manually
Select Connect using a broadband connection that requires a username and password (PPPoE)
Enter the ISP Name: Plusnet
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click Finish and click Connect
If you use Windows 7 it will try and test the connection during the setup, this will fail and give you an error. Click Skip or Continue and then after clicking finish right click the new connection icon and click properties. Under Service Name enter Plusnet then click OK. Finally double-click the New Connection icon and click Connect.
Mac
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences
From the View menu, choose Network
Choose Built-in Ethernet from the Show pop-up menu
Click the PPPoE tab
Select the checkbox for Connect using PPPoE
Enter the Broadband Username and Password
Click PPPoE options and tick the Connect automatically when needed checkbox
Click Apply now
Let me know how you get on.
Chris
tjd
Grafter

It is wired Chris.
This is what it says on member centre
Phone exchange:
   EAST
Estimated line speed:
   50Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2012-10-20 13:23:17
Current line speed:
   39 Mb

*Getting 36.55 down 9.08 up
Like I said I'm quite happy with that compared to what I used to be getting but thought it would be a bit faster. If you could nudge it that'd be great but don't waste any man-hours on it if that'd be required Tongue
Thanks again for your time m8
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried the BT speedtest to see what the IP profile is - this will allow you to calculate the sync speed - multiply by about 1.033 if I remember correctly
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We need your line to sync at a higher speed to be able to adjust your profile, try a soft disconnect via logging into your routers interface and clicking disconnect, then power down your router and modem. Firstly power on your modem and wait for the dsl light top become stable then power your router on and log into your routers interface and click connect.
Let me know how you get on.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

This is still being investigated by our faults team.
Feel free to post on here or PM me if you've got any questions.