Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed varying again,,,,again.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Fibre speed varying again,,,,again.

@fp - you might want to edit your IP address out of that pic...
fp
Grafter

Thanks.  I rebooted the router to get a different IP address.
Also with ping enabled the internet light on the router (@) is flashing every second or less, even with the computer switched off.  Not sure if this the thinkbroadband monitor or something else.  The flashing stopped when I disabled ping - which of course blocks the thinkbroadband monitor.
fp
Grafter

My speeds had been remarkably stable at 73 Mbps for a day a so, but just crashed to 30ish.  See attached pictures.  The last is thinkbroadband ping graph.
EDIT: Updated thinkbroadband ping graph. Looks as if something was different around 09:30-10:00
fp
Grafter

The attached files show the speed varying between 60 - 74 Mbps for successive tests within a few minutes of each other - wired using the BT wholesale tester and restarts of the browser.
I do not know what I should expect.  
If my (test) speed is normally 73 Mbps should it vary at all?  The line can support 77 Mbps.
What could cause the speed to vary?  
EDIT: might have been optimistic.  Now down to 40 Mbps; and some strange message following the 'further diagnostic' procedure in the BT wholesale tester.
EDIT: and the last bit of information and another question.  Does FTC get throttled at peak times.  Tried (part) downloading a linux iso from several mirrors in this country and from other European countries.  Normally the speed is constant_ish, at lately, up to an impressive 8.7 MB/sec.  Tonight it varied wildly, peaking at 5ish, was generally around 2 and dropped to less than 1.   Could be the providing servers, I suppose.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Speeds aren't restricted at peak times, no.
It could be the servers that you're downloading the Linux images from, at a guess. Speeds are always likely to fluctuate, it's difficult to get/have a perfect line where speeds are going to be near constant, high speeds all of the time.
I personally have 80/20 (about 15m from the cabinet luckily) but I've never achieved 77Mb, the maximum you can hope to expect is 74Mb in my opinion, I guess if you live right next to the cabinet, you *could* get up to 76Mb.
fp
Grafter

Thanks for the reply about download speed.  It is possible that _all_ the servers were loaded and some where obviously slower than others, but .......
I live close to the green cabinet as well.  When my speeds are good they are very good.
But to get back to where this thread started.  Are my speed _test_ results 'normal' ?  The pictures (above) show them varying from awful to close to optimum throughout the day; and, to the untrained eye, matched to ping times recorded by the thinkbandbroad monitor.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your speeds shouldn't really be varying by that much, no.
If this happens every night via Ethernet, it might be worth trying a direct PPPoE connection ( http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows... )
If it still happens, can you raise a fault at http://faults.plus.net
fp
Grafter

Chris
Thanks.  
A little bit of frustration setting in.  I did all you suggest last time before raising a ticket.  PN monitored my connection for a week and concluded nothing was wrong.
Either my test speed should vary or not.  I do not understand the technology and all the contributors to the speed enough to answer the question for myself.  The speed varies as described most weeks.  Sometime going several days at a constant 73 Mbps (at least when I measure it) and then crashing - to recover later.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
It's difficult from both sides. Generally if you're having a problem with the speed of your service, it'll be the actual throughput that's affected whereas your connection rate (sync) probably won't change) so when we test your line all we can see is a perfectly fine sync rate.
So from an investigation POV it's pretty difficult and frustrating on your part when we come back and say, well, No Fault Found. We don't get huge amounts of data when we do testing, so it's very difficult to try and get a positive result without sending out an engineer.
If this is still causing you problems, I would highly recommend raising a fault on the link I provided and mentioning, in detail what the problem is that you're having.
fp
Grafter

ticket raised
It just gets better.  
Last time the conclusion was 'there is nothing wrong' - I wonder what the conclusion will be this time.............
EDIT: 0730 and it is back to normal - as thankfully seems to happen at times of (probable) low internet use.
(I have referenced this thread in the ticket I raised in case PN want some facts.).
fp
Grafter

Test speed (wired) steady at 73Mbps morning to afternoon.
Now (22:23) 46 Mbps.
EDIT: its morning and the (wired) test speed is back to normal again - 73Mbps.  
Seems to be a pattern: probably busy times, speed drops; less busy times speed stable and good.  Is this just a  capacity or sharing issue of some component in the system?
EDIT: speed fine up to mid-afternoon, now back on its way back down - 53 Mbps.
EDIT: Basically the speed (test - wired) is all over the place.  Varying from 73 Mbps to 30Mbps on successive tests.  The thinkbroadband gives a warning to that effect - see picture.
(It feels like I am fighting for/sharing the capacity associated with my connection - minute by minute at busy times.).
fp
Grafter

The below is from PN in response to the ticket.
Would someone please explain what  '..............Your issue appears to be resolved as I can see that the line has reconnected over the last couple of evenings....' means and how this relates to variable test speeds at peak times.  The only thing I reconnect is the PN technicolor router to the BT modem, which is always left on.  
I will continue to monitor.  It seems to be my new hobby.
//----------------------------------------------
Thank you for your patience.
Your issue appears to be resolved as I can see that the line has reconnected over the last couple of evenings, in order for us to confirm if this is resolved we need you to leave the equipment on at <b>ALL</b> times. There does not appear to be able network faults as the line is continuing to hold good speeds.
I am now returning this ticket to you so due to the nature of faults, we request that you monitor this for several days. I trust that your issue is now resolved so there should be no need to reply to this ticket however if the fault returns then please let us know and we can investigate further.
I apologise for any inconvenience this issue may of caused.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net/ or by phone on 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.
Kind regards,