cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre speed disappointing - how long before settles?

bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Fibre speed disappointing - how long before settles?

Hi All,
Been with Plusnet for many years, upgraded to Fibre on Friday.  Projected speeds were 33Mbps, I'm getting 10-15.  I was getting around 9 on ADSL so not much impressed.  I think Plusnet say give it 10 days to settle down but shouldn't I be seeing better higher speed with fluctuations?
Also - engineer pretty useless.  Hasn't changed faceplate so still have a microfilter in place (will that affect speed?), unplugged phones and left them unplugged.  Didn't test Broadband connection on any of our equipment or reconnect any ethernet cables.  My 17yo daughter was at home so she didn't know to check but I didn't know we would have to.  I came home and connected everything and then we got hit by the mass outage on Friday so not a great start.
Anyhow - should I leave it a few more days or is the lower than expected speed indicating problems I should have looked at now?
Cheers
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Fibre speed disappointing - how long before settles?

Hi
Can you post your estimates from here - http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Yeah - attached hopefully
AndyH
Grafter

Can you run the BT Speed Test (http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/) and click on Further Diagnostics and post your IP Profile? What's your current line speed https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed ?
Just to make sure - are you running the speed tests wired or wirelessly?
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

All tests run wired with wireless turned off on router and nothing connected to router other than the desktop pc running the tests.
BT Speed test down 15.13, up 5.00 ping 38
Ip Profile 16.19 up, 20 down (I don't know about these things but that up profile sounds low????)
Line speed from that Plusnet link:
Estimated line speed:
33Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-16 13:14:56
Current line speed:
15.7 Mb
AndyH - can you interpret?  Does this mean I've got it as good as I can get and Plusnet (and others) estimate is nonsense?  Or is there a problem?
Thanks for your help
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I came home and connected everything
If you've connected phones back in they will all still need filters as the engineer didn't fit the proper faceplate. Sounds like the engineer (a contractor ?) didn't do the job properly and that could well be part of the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Quote from: MisterW
I came home and connected everything
If you've connected phones back in they will all still need filters as the engineer didn't fit the proper faceplate. Sounds like the engineer (a contractor ?) didn't do the job properly and that could well be part of the problem.

Yeah - still using filter.  Not impressed with engineer.  According to my daughter, he tested the connection, said it didn't work but that it should be OK in 30mins or so and left.  I can back and found the computer he has tried the connection on was not connected to the router.  (two grey ethernet cables connected, one to router and one to computer, other ends not connected to anything!)
AndyH
Grafter

@ bobbydazzler - You're going to have to raise a fault with Plusnet because your speeds are a lot lower than your estimates. It does sound like the engineer didn't do a good job on the installation, particularly checking the wiring.
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Ticket logged - #90905514
Hopefully someone will look into it
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Got BTOR Engineer coming in the morning.  Attached are the stats from the Plusnet ticket.  If anyone is around who knows what they are talking about, I'd appreciate it if they can have a quick look and make any suggestions to ensure I don't get fobbed off by the engineer tomorrow.
Problem is Fibre speeds should be around 33Mbps, and have been stuck at around 12-15Mbps since we moved to Fibre about two weeks ago.
Engineer that came for activation seemed pretty half hearted, left everything unplugged and didn't change faceplate.  Bit of pain but nothing obvious that would affect speed (although getting faceplate changed tomorrow).
Cheers
bobbydazzler
Dabbler

Amazing what a decent engineer can do!
BTOR guy arrived at 8am (I requested first appointment, couldn't be guaranteed but he read the notes and did come here first which was a great start).  30 mins of checking settings and changing faceplate,all of which should have been done by the original installer, and D/L speeds now hovering aroung 40Mbps - which is absolute top end of what I could expect. 
I'm now very happy - shame BT send hopeless contractors out to do the initial install as it could all have been avoided.
picbits
Rising Star

Excellent news - thanks for posting back.
You may find the speed drops slightly as things stabilise (mine went from 73 to 56 after 20 months but rock solid connection) but glad you've got it all sorted Smiley